Join now - be part of our community!

Transfer files from Handycam to PS3?

profile.country.en_GB.title
alailes22
Visitor

Transfer files from Handycam to PS3?

Hi all, have just purchased an HDR-CX130E, and am loving it :slight_smile:

I assumed I could maybe plug in to the PS3 via USB, and copy/transfer recorded items on to the HD for additional storage and ease of viewing unedited vids. When plugging the Handycam in the PS3, the xmb shows the Handycam as "Camcorder", but says there are no items under Video, Music, or Photo sections. There are definitely items recorded on to the SD.

Please advise, many thanks :thinking:

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello alailes22 - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If the videos are stored on the SD card, do you get the same problem when you insert the SD card directly into the PS3 card reader? If you files do not initially appear, be sure to highlight the card, press the Triangle button and select 'View All'. Hopefully this will show you the videos.

If this method doesn't work, it may be an issue with the format of the video files. My own PS3 can be a little fussy about what it chooses to read and as a result I always convert video files to .AVI in order to make them work with the PS3. Even doing this fails sometimes as there can be codec issues and problems with DivX etc.

There is an official list of compatible video formats here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

Hope this helps,

Simon

alailes22
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Simon.

I purchased the camcorder along with a 16 gb sd card. I formatted the memory card to ExFat. This is where I went wrong. After now reformatting the sd card to Fat32, I can plug the Handycam into the PS3 (with the controller charging lead, very handy :smileywink:) and copy files over effortlessly, after navigating to the correct folder on the sd card.

The PS3 plays the AVCHD hd video files produced by the Handycam perfectly :slight_smile: