Join now - be part of our community!

Transferring file from camcorder to mac

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Ohilio227
Explorer

Transferring file from camcorder to mac

so the camcorder i have is a DCR - SR52E digital video camera recorder and i'm trying to transfer a video to my mac book pro the only issue is that the cord does not have a usb adapter and the camcorder didn't come with a built in usb. Is there any other way i can transfer files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Ohilio227,

you're very welcome. Keep me posted how things are going.

- Nic

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Ohilio227,

since it is rather hard to get firewire to work under Windows 10, I personally would recommend to use a so called "Video Capture Card" - preferrably the one offered by MAGIX, since it comes with a rudamentary editing software.

Since you own a Mac you probably need to look into other options though (which are around 20 pounds on amazon) or lend a Windows PC for that (if you want to go with the suggested software).

To use it you need a PC together with the included software and capture card. You connect to the capture card via RCA-cable - do you still have the one which came with the camcorder?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Ohilio227
Explorer

I'm sorry if my language is a bit weird, it's my first time using a camera. If you mean some long card that doesn't fit in the camera because that is the only one I have and i have all the cables that came with it 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Ohilio227,

old camcorders like this one required a file transfer unlike modern camcorders - you digitally transferred the video files via FireWire - something which is not supported anymore (at least not with a lot of tinkering).

With the solution I propose you connect the camcorder to the Capture Card just like you would connect it to a TV, with the RCA-cable (yellow/red/white) analog connectors.

The capture card then converts the analog signal into a digital datastream which most video editing programs can capture and "record" in real time (which of course takes as long as the video runs).

Then you have a clip on your PC which you can edit/save/export just like you can if you transfer a file from a modern camcorder/phone/camera.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Ohilio227
Explorer

Would you mind explaining more what the capture card is so I know if I actually have the right thing 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Ohilio227,

it just looks like a USB-stick with three female connectors coming out of it.

Just look on amazon/ebay for "mac video capture card" and select the option which users in the reviews report as working best.

Also check that you can replay the videos on a TV without any issues first (both video and audio), otherwise there is no sense in buying the capture card at all.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Ohilio227
Explorer

Ok thanks a lot you've been been really helpful and I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Ohilio227,

you're very welcome. Keep me posted how things are going.

- Nic