Join now - be part of our community!

Used non rewritable disc by error. Handycam405e.Laptop with Vista.How can I edit?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
filmsrus
Visitor

Used non rewritable disc by error. Handycam405e.Laptop with Vista.How can I edit?

HELP

I have a Handycam 405e. I have just made an important film which I want to edit but by mistake I have used a non rewritable disc.

I have a laptop with Vista including Movie Maker.

How can I access the film to edit it?

I have tried saving the film to my laptop hard drive but can't make that work. Does anyone know why?

I have tried linking the camera to my laptop using the USB cable but keep getting a perpetual connecting message on my camera screen. It never connects.

If I can get it onto my laptop hard drive will I be able to burn to a rewritable disc? Will I be able to edit then?

If I can get it onto my hard drive will I be able to transfer to Movie Maker?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello filmsrus - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As long as the disc itself has been finalised in the camcorder, there is no reason why it won't be accessible on a PC. However, you have to bear in mind that a finalised DVD will usually save the video in *.vob format as this is the DVD video standard and in order to edit this with a package like Movie Maker, you will need to convert this into a format that is recognisable, such as .avi or .mpg. If you can copy the raw video data files to your hard drive, you can then use free software such as http://www.convertvobtoavi.com/ to get a file that can be used by editing software (there are various free software packages available for this conversion - if you Google 'free VOB to AVI software' you will get an idea about what is available).

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello filmsrus - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As long as the disc itself has been finalised in the camcorder, there is no reason why it won't be accessible on a PC. However, you have to bear in mind that a finalised DVD will usually save the video in *.vob format as this is the DVD video standard and in order to edit this with a package like Movie Maker, you will need to convert this into a format that is recognisable, such as .avi or .mpg. If you can copy the raw video data files to your hard drive, you can then use free software such as http://www.convertvobtoavi.com/ to get a file that can be used by editing software (there are various free software packages available for this conversion - if you Google 'free VOB to AVI software' you will get an idea about what is available).

Thanks,

Simon