Join now - be part of our community!

What Can I use to play HI8 tapes

SOLVED

What Can I use to play HI8 tapes

I own 2 SONY handycam video Hi8 CCD-V600E camcorders but unfortunately they have not been used for some time (20 years??) and now they are not working.  I still have a number of Hi8 tapes recorded on them that I would like to transfer to DVD.  Could I use any Sony Hi8 camera to play them enabling me to record onto DVD?  Excuse my ignorance with this but I have not kept up to pace with video developments since I used the above cameras when my children were young. Any advice would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brrobin19
Explorer

Hi Eagleswell

Yes you can use any model Hi8 sony or canon camera to play back

your hi8 tapes, since they were recorded on a Sony model I would

try and get a reasonable second-hand model probably on e-bay, but

check that the owner can confirm it loads tapes and ejects them and

that it has a good battery. You have to be careful because there is some

rubbish around.

Hope you get a decent one

Regards Brian

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
brrobin19
Explorer

Hi Eagleswell

Yes you can use any model Hi8 sony or canon camera to play back

your hi8 tapes, since they were recorded on a Sony model I would

try and get a reasonable second-hand model probably on e-bay, but

check that the owner can confirm it loads tapes and ejects them and

that it has a good battery. You have to be careful because there is some

rubbish around.

Hope you get a decent one

Regards Brian

H brrobin19,  Thank you very much for your response. I thought I may look on ebay but guessed I have to be careful.  Is there anything to consider when I buy one.  I notice people talking about Analogue and Digital so I would obviously need to make sure i got the right one.  I presume by the age of my Sony's they will be analogue? Any further help would be great beofe I spend my money.  Many thanks Brian.

Dai   

brrobin19
Explorer

Hi eagleswell

I would try to get a Digital 8 camcorder by Sony, this will record in Digital 8

but the earlier models also play hi8 and video 8. Later models did not have

the facilty to play hi8 or video 8. If you only need Hi 8 then that camcorder

should be much cheaper. I will have a look at my old camcorder magazines,

at present in a box in our loft!

once I find one of the right era I contact you

to give you more information.

Best regards Brian