Join now - be part of our community!

what handycam model numbers,for transfer of 8mm tapes to computer

profile.country.en_GB.title
joskirr86
New

what handycam model numbers,for transfer of 8mm tapes to computer

Hi,I am looking for a list of model numbers of handycams,that will transfer standard 8mm tapes to computer to transfer to dvd.Can you HELP..John

There seems to be a lot of camcorders out there but i dont know which is the newer, or best type, and at what price i should be looking at.I have been offered a dcr trv 355e at £150, which i am told should do the job,any comments would be appreciated.John.

Message was edited by: joskirr86

Message was edited by: joskirr86

4 REPLIES 4
Mick2011
New

Hi John, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Any Sony Digital8 camcorder should be able to play 8mm tapes, ie Digital8, Video8 and Hi8. They are the newest of the 8mm breed and the only ones I'd look at for your purposes. I was amazed to find there's still a list of them on the Sony site: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-digital-8

While I've never heard of any to specifically avoid, there are some particularly good ones. I happen to have a 355e which is still impressive 10 years later. Is it worth £150 to you, would be the question... in good working condition I'd say that was top-dollar, but not over-priced.

Cheers

Mick

klauzser
Visitor

Is 8mm tapes older than Betamax tapes? Or is it the same? I was looking for any device that could convert it to DVD.

Mick2011
New

No, Betamax is quite a bit earlier; completely different format really.

8mm video (not to be confused with 8mm film, aka 'Super 8') came to be the generic name for a vaguely cross-compatible series of video tape formats, starting with Video8 in the early 80s. That and Hi8 were analogue, while Digital8 was (surprise) the first digital tape format. Generally speaking, Digital8 players can play all other 8mm tapes, but not vice-versa.

Betamax was the less-popular alternative to VHS for many years. The easiest way to digitise it is probably to get hold of a betamax player and plug it into a DVD recorder's anlogue input. If you're editing you'll get better quality with a analogue-digital converter for your PC, but if you just have a one-off project it might not be worth the expense. Once on DVD you can import to PC anyway, with a small amount of quality loss.

Hope that's of some help :cool:

Mick

joskirr86
New

Hi Mick,

Thank's for your quick reply,your advice was much appreciated,the Sony site you advised me to use was very good and gave me a perfect way to check out models.

I have transfered a few tapes to VHS using my camcorder to my old VCR, but the quality is not very good.I also find i cannot play my camcorder (A Sony CCD-TR55E BOUGHT IN 1989)  straight through to my digital television.

At 67 i struggle to keep up with technology but thanks to people like you things are made a lot easier.

I look forward to seeing my old 8mm tapes transfered to DVD, and enjoying the memories.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

John.