Join now - be part of our community!

What is the difference between the DCR-290 and the DCR-290E

profile.country.en_GB.title
Lewisam
Visitor

What is the difference between the DCR-290 and the DCR-290E

I need a cable to connect my DCR-290 HDD camera to my Sony Vaio PC.   At one end is a USB and the other end needs to have the strange half moon shaped plug to fit into the camera socket.   Will a cable for the Sony DCR-290E work?

6 REPLIES 6
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Assuming the full model number is a DCR-SR290 then the E normally indicates where is designed for so European models for Handycam should end in E.

Since these are hard drive based should take a standard mini-B USB connection. Never heard of a half moon shaped connection.

Here is a breakdown of what the different USB connections look like

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/usb.jpg

If not, could you provide a picture of the connection please?

Lewisam
Visitor

Thanks for your respsonse however none of those will fit.   This is not a rogue camera, it is the Sony DCR-SR290.  The connector flap marked 'AV out' opens to reveal a small semi-circular socket.  i used to have the cable (supplied with the machine when new) and it plugged in and worked fine, however I cannot find it now and need a replacement.   The camera also has a docking station that it sits upon.  The dock also has the same semi circular connector (amongst others too).  I really need that cable.   It must have been a standard Sony cable that perhaps is now obsolete, but it was supplied brand new in the box with the camera, batteries, docking statioon, etc., and purchased from a reputable store - Best Buy I think some years ago.  Thanks for your help....

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

What you are trying to use is the audio video for connecting to something like a DVD recorder or television using the red, white and yellow cables (composite). Even if your computer has these connections, I would recommend using USB since it can transfer the file faster.

Using the AV cable to your computer will mean you will need to record in real time which could take a long time. If you do need the cable, the model number from the website is VMC-30FS but still highly recommend USB.

Lewisam
Visitor

I am sure that everything you are saying is correct and I appreciate your advice.  I would like to transfer files faster however I can see NO OTHER CONNECTION cable other than the one that I am describing, or the DC-in power socket.  Am I missing something?    Should there be an i-Link cable somewhere, or other digital interface to a PC.  I thought this was a pretty good camera?   I have attached a photo of the socket.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Looking in the manual, you need to use the docking station for USB. The connection itself is not found on the Handycam

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3098549121.pdf

Lewisam
Visitor

OK - thanks.  I guess I need to locate the docking station, without which I still need the semicircle cable.