Join now - be part of our community!

BNP and INP file types

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gilesw26
Visitor

BNP and INP file types

I have a brand new HX9V so am trying to learn about its functions. 

When I select "high-resolution panoramic image" it saves a JPEG file of around 10Meg to 12Meg yet the instructions clearly state that "If you set [Panorama Image Size] to [High Resolution], a 43 megapixel-size panoramic image (10480×4096) can be shot".  The saved 10 Meg JPEG file is indeed 10480x4096 pixels but it is far short of the promised 43Meg....

There is also a directory in the SDHC card's file structure called "AVF_INFO" containing 2 files called AVIN001.BNP and AVIN001.INP (plus 3 smaller files) which are around 33Meg - but nowhere can I find a "43 megapixel-size panoramic image (10480×4096)".  How do I record an image at the promised file size?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi gilesw26, welcome to the Sony Forums

If the image resolution is as promised (10480x4096) then you do in fact have a full-resolution pano file. Image compression algorithms produce a non-standard filesize from a given set of pixel dimensions, depending on the content of the image itself.

If its actual size is 10480x4096 this equals (according to my pocket calculator) 42,926,080 pixels, or (nigh on) 43 megapixels. Megabytes might vary, but megapixels don't :wink:

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions.

Best wishes

Mcik

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi gilesw26, welcome to the Sony Forums

If the image resolution is as promised (10480x4096) then you do in fact have a full-resolution pano file. Image compression algorithms produce a non-standard filesize from a given set of pixel dimensions, depending on the content of the image itself.

If its actual size is 10480x4096 this equals (according to my pocket calculator) 42,926,080 pixels, or (nigh on) 43 megapixels. Megabytes might vary, but megapixels don't :wink:

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions.

Best wishes

Mcik