Join now - be part of our community!

Camera selection advice request

profile.country.GB.title
Ivan_1958
New

Camera selection advice request

I am after a compact digital camera for taking on holiday and for walking/hiking. My key requirements are: Ability to easily store in a pocket; able to use manual settings and not just auto; zoom lens; selfie capability; cost below £200 ($270). At present I’m thinking of purchasing a used Sony HX90V Compact Camera. Currently I’m using a Motorola moto g8 power lite for taking photographs. As my knowledge of cameras and photography is limited I would welcome any feedback and advice on my choice of the Sony HX90V and also what would be the key benefits in using this type of camera in comparison with my mobile phone camera. Thank you in anticipation of your feedback and advice.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hi,

I changed from HX90V to HX400V and I'm missing the HX90V every day.

The HX400V has a far better lens and pictures from HX90V tend to be somewhat bluish.

The fact that one can have it in the pocket is the winning option.

This HX400V, I have to carry it with me, the small HX90V is just there, anytime you need it.

Both are secondhand bargains nowadays.

I'm using the camera for bird photography (read bird recognition).

The large zoom of HX400V makes me loose the subject every now & then.

Don't expect high quality pictures. As I said, recognition.

Leave the briljant pictures to the ones with ILCE 7 or better with professional 600mm lenses.

For nearby photography and bad light I'm using my Xperia 1.

The software processing is so much better.

Anything at a distance is prey for the HX camera.

profile.country.GB.title
Ivan_1958
New

Hi,

Many thanks for your feedback. Whilst I understand there must be limitations and compromises to be made when considering such a small camera as the HX90V what I'm essentially looking for is an upgrade from a smart phone camera e.g. storable in a breast pocket; optical  zoom; selfie capability. I just want one device to use on holidays and for day length walks. Are there any other camera models, that that you know of, that would meet my requirements? Also are the bluish pictures you mention something I should be concerned about? Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Ivan_1958
New

I would also like to understand what I would be able to do with a HX90V over and above what I can do with a smart phone camera?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Zoom, in short, zoom.

However, if I were you I'd go for a RX100 camera.

It's got a bigger sensor, less zoom and makes great pictures.

And the investment in RX100 VI or RX100 VII is worth it.

The advantage of a real camera is the possibility to set every picture to be like you like it.

Follow some courses about composition and light on youtube.

Dive into the possibilities of manual settings on youtube as well.

I predict you'll get adicted.

Nobody will ever have to explain to you again why you chose a real camera besides a smartphone.