Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX20V firmware update problem

profile.country.GB.title
tewoodr
New

DSC-HX20V firmware update problem

Anyone know how to update the firmware on my newly purchased DSC-HX20V on a Mac running OSX 10.8.2. The firware updater I have downloaded will only run in the 32bit kernel whereas OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) runs in 64bit and cannot be booted in the 32bit kernel, unlike earlier OSX versions?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello tewoodr :slight_smile:

I am not a Mac user myself (if a Mac user sees this thread please feel free to add some input on this) but speaking from other similar discussions that I have seen, it may be necessary to try and find an alternative machine with the previous OS setup or a Windows PC (I know this defeats the whole purpose of having a Mac) in order to perform the update. I am aware that the compatibility of the firmware update software varies hugely from one version of the Mac OS to another and I am only giving you this advice to potentially save you hours of frustration.

On the other hand, if you do manage to find a way around this please let everyone else know here :smileyhappy:.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
tewoodr
New

Hi Simon

Yes I think you're probably right. The strange thing is I had no problem updating the firmware on my NEX-7 just recently so if the downloader for that can run in 64bit why not all?

Thanks,

Terry

PS. As I write this reply I have just received an email from Sony Support confirming that the current updater supports only Mac OS X v 10.5 to 10.7. I am told to "stay tuned" to the support webpage for the DSC-HX20V, which suggests they may be about to issue a 64bit updater.:smileyhappy:

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

If that is the case then this will be very welcome news for a lot of people. As I stated earlier I am not a Mac user but I can fully understand the frustration of having to revert to a Windows PC after having made a conscious choice to go with a Mac instead :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

Old_Taoist
Visitor

Hi.

According to the instructions on the web-site, it's the same virtually for Mac or PC:

* Plug USB from camera to PC/Mac. Turn camera on.

* Computer should read as a new device and open Folder/s for veiwing; on XP need to Click on My Computer,

then view as a Drive or USB Stortage Device, open and seek folder with MAC or PC software link in.

* For MAC click on MAC icon and process should walk you through it on screen.

Regards

Mike

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Mike :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info about this. Unfortunately I have seen on these forums that the precise version of the Mac OS can be the difference between success and failure in this process. You are extremely justified in putting the word 'should' in italics :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

As far as I know you can not boot MAC 10.8 in 32 bit mode but when you right click on an App you can select 32 bit mode. Not sure if this wirks with the FW updater.

I would not risk a FW update failure so recommend to try the update on an officially supported OS version.

Michael