Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-TX10 shock-proofing

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nitwigg
Visitor

DSC-TX10 shock-proofing

Hi all

Recently bought a new DSC-TX10 black. Taken on holiday and came back to realise (after taking out memory card) that there are chunks missing from the outer casing around the LCD screen. 

There has been no drops higher than 10cm since it has arrived, yet these cracks and chunks missing exist.

Apparently the TX10 is MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5 Shock certified. This means it can be dropped upwards of 26 times from a height of 48 in or less without suffering any structural damage (see http://www.dtc.army.mil/publications/810.pdf  section 516.5-1).

Now, will this be covered under Sony's 1Y warranty as this physical damage (not normally covered under warranty) but is EXPLICITLY DESIGNED TO RESIST THIS....??

If Sony uses these tests explicitly done as the tests are designed (in the link) then this should be covered under warranty as it obviously doesnt meet Sony's description? Otherwise if Sony have adapted the tests to their own standards then can anyone describe these? And if yes on the latter, then surely they should not be MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5 Shock certified??

Thanks

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi nitwigg, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Does the camera still work? Most manufacturers will only admit damage if the camera has a functional problem after a drop.

I don't know much about that particular model but generally speaking, shockproof gear is supposed to survive a drop, rather than remain unmarked by it. You might well find this is the biggest hurdle to jump as regards making any kind of claim for the housing damage you have there. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some condition (somewhere...) that explicitly excludes cosmetic damage from the 'shockproof' description.

As I say, I'm just guessing, but that's the way these things usually go. There's no reason why you shouldn't take it up with Sony Customer Services: their phone number is 0844 8466 555

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi nitwigg, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Does the camera still work? Most manufacturers will only admit damage if the camera has a functional problem after a drop.

I don't know much about that particular model but generally speaking, shockproof gear is supposed to survive a drop, rather than remain unmarked by it. You might well find this is the biggest hurdle to jump as regards making any kind of claim for the housing damage you have there. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some condition (somewhere...) that explicitly excludes cosmetic damage from the 'shockproof' description.

As I say, I'm just guessing, but that's the way these things usually go. There's no reason why you shouldn't take it up with Sony Customer Services: their phone number is 0844 8466 555

Cheers

Mick