Join now - be part of our community!

HX9V Firmware update PLEASE!

SOLVED
profile.country.hu_HU.title
Tacsko_69
Visitor

HX9V Firmware update PLEASE!

Dear SONY,

I've recently bought this amazing camera. I've changed from DSLR, because the size and handling wasn't comfortable for family photos. I think You've done very good job with this product, to put in great features in a single device.

However, I suppose, the hardware deserves a new firmware.

The biggest problem is a noise reduction, what makes the details and colors of pictures smudged. It should be good to set the level of NR by user.

Another important and missing function to save pictures in RAW. I'm sure the hardware can handle this correctly, providing great images.

As I've found on the net, most of users and testers would wish this upgrade, to make the camera more useable.

Please, inform Us about the progress of firmware development, because I hope it worth to wait for a good news.

Thanks for Your help, and answers

Best regards,

49 REPLIES 49
profile.country.GB.title
Dennis_Sisterson
New

Just to add my voice to this discussion; maybe weight of numbers will help!

It's  a great little camera but yes, seriously let down by the compression.  Some photos aren't so bad but anything with a texture such as fur and  foliage looks like it's been laid on with a pallete knife. Lower  compression options, PLEASE!

profile.country.fr_FR.title
jb.falconnat
Visitor

I agree !

Need raw or lower compression.

profile.country.it_IT.title
Liveagin
Visitor

SONY RAW  PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!!  I NEED RAW MODEEEEE!!!!

THX:smileycry:

profile.country.es_ES.title
Fini_hx9v
Visitor

The camera is brilliant in some aspects but still pictures are awfull. The NR is so strong and jpeg compression is excessive.

Sony please release new firmware where we can shoot in raw. or where we can set de NR in off (I reduce noise with pc) and a lower compression.

I think sensor is capable to do better pictures it does now.

Now I use the xh9v only for video. Update the firmware.

Sony do it, don't disappoint us. This camera could be the perfect compact camera.

Thanks

profile.country.pt_PT.title
IvoLeite
Visitor

Raw would be a great adition to this small wonder.

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Hi Everyone

This subject seems to have got mixed up with others posts, highlighting similar problems.

However, I would just like to echo the comments made by other contributors, regarding the the compression and noise reduction applied to Still photos. I think the fact that Jpeg file sizes are only around 3.5 to 5 meg, proves that the compression is very much overdone.

The amount of noise reduction applied, also obliterates fine detail, particularly in dark areas of the picture.

Just why Sony have chosen to go down this route, I just don't know.

Certainly with the high capacity SD cards available nowadays, high compression is just not necessary.

I would much rather do my own post processing via Photoshop et al.  RAW would be very nice, but not really necessary, if the quality of the Jpegs was up to scratch.

On the other hand, I think video quality is superb for a camera in this price bracket.

However, If I had particularly wanted a good Video camera, I would have brought a dedicated one.

As it is I am stuck with superb Video and a mediocre Stills camera, which is really not what I wanted!

SONY, Please listen to the comments made on this and other forums and come up with an appropriate firmware update ASAP.

Virtually all my current electronic equipment is Sony and I have been a loyal customer for many years, right from the days of your first 18" colour TV in a wooden case and in Hi-Fi terms, probably earlier.

It would be disappointing, if I had to move to a competitors products to get satisfaction.

Merry Xmas to all our readers.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
stels88
Visitor

I am also waiting for HX9V firmware upgrade, today bought and very sad with jpeg quality/compression (colors is not right too!) and no raw support.

STOP DRINK BEER, RELEASE NEW FIRMWARE PLEASE!

profile.country.en_GB.title
dktreesea
Visitor

I have just bought this camera. Literally yesterday. I am in a state of shock. The downloaded pictures are awful. Just awful. I can't believe how poor they are. Jpegs 159KB. Using PMB, the supplied software that came with the camera. They look like something I could have taken with a £10 camera from the market. I can take better photos with an Apple iPhone for goodness sake.

Kenneve, please can you tell me how you managed to download the photos with 3 to 5MB per photo rather than the , no joke, 159Kb per picture I have managed thus far?

How do I get the pictures to even download with iPhone quality (around 2 to 3 MB per picture, let alone the quality I would have expected from an apparently 16MP camera?

And no RAW capability? In a camera that costs over £300 with all the bits and bobs? A complete ripoff. Thank goodness there is a cooling off period and I can return it.

As for it being a "good video camera". If I had wanted a great video camera, I wouldn't have bought a camera for still shots.

profile.country.de_DE.title
SC-Photo
Visitor

I think the jpeg compression is much to high and the camera should support to save in Raw. Please Firmware Update. Sony please do something, don't let us alone.

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Hi dktreesea

I download to the PC by inserting the SD card directly into the PC slot and use Windows Explorer to send the files to the directory where I want them.

I have just copied some 40 odd photos taken over the Xmas period and the file sizes range from 2,894Kb to 6,044Kb. It's interesting to note that the lowest file is an indoor portrait, with flash, whereas the higher one is an outdoor group, shot in full sun.

However, I don't think using the PMB software will make any difference to the file size, I just use my method to ensure  that the photos end up on the hard-drive where I want them.

I assume that you are using the highest resolution setting possible, as 159Kb suggests that you may be set to 640 x 480 res, which of course produces rubbish.

Prior to purchase, I did roadtest the camera at a well known multiple store, using my own memory card and when analysing the results, I did find the the camera was indeed, set to the lowest resolution, hardly a good sales ploy!

I have had some impressive results from this camera and I tried to upload and example, (but the system wouldn't let me) which shows the top of the Stratford Shakespeare Theatre tower, taken from about 200 metres at full 16x zoom and the individual bricks are dead sharp! (file size 5,890Kb)

Nevertheless I agree that the performance of this camera could be vastly improved with a relatively minor firmware upgrade, which could make a good compact camera into a really great compact camera.

Unfortunately, I am now past the cooling off period, so I am stuck with it and just hope that SONY get their finger out and respond to the concerns voiced on this and other forums ASAP.