Join now - be part of our community!

RX100 VI draining battery while turned off

profile.country.SE.title
chwikan
Explorer

RX100 VI draining battery while turned off

I have an RX100 VI that I bought new about a month ago.

I'm noticing that the camera will drain the battery while turned off. I charged it fully just over a week ago and put it in a drawer and now that I want to use it the camera indicates that the battery is almost out. Is this a common problem with this camera?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

This is absolutely normal. Your camera is never completely turned off so it consumes power even when its switched off. You can remove the battery if you store your camera for a longer period.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.SE.title
chwikan
Explorer

I would expect some kind of discharge, but you noticed that I wrote that it drains the battery in a week while "off". Can hardly be normal. I have several other cameras that can be turned on for longer periods without draining their batteries.

profile.country.GB.title
iacopes
Explorer

I bought the same camera from Currys less than two months ago and had the same problem. I was still using the supplied battery (recharged) and hastily ordered some spares.

I discovered that that if the battery dies while you're out, the camera can be left fully zoomed with the lens iris open. Hardly ideal!

profile.country.US.title
sony.e.62.10
Contributor

This is absolutely normal

I'm sorry but, to be precise in the vocabulary, this may be usual (at Sony?) but not normal.

Quickly draining batteries when being OFF is neither a normal nor an acceptable behaviour for an electronic device.

This may be acceptable for a standby mode but then a full OFF mode is required.

This is especially not acceptable since SONY is now sending out unsollicited modifications to the firmware of their TV's to show an intrusive and recurrent warning about energy consumption each time the user is raising up brightness (!) using new European energy consumption guidelines as an excuse...but is still draining up energy from other devices without even the user being aware...!

This behaviour will also put useless tear on the battery itself, shortening up the life of the battery and ultimately (as Sony does not guarantee the availability of the spare parts beyond the duration of the warranty) of the device itself. And repeating removing the battery is not acceptable either, and will put unwanted tear as well on the mechanical door of the battery space.

About the RX100, the problem is of course known by SONY and even documented on this page (but without real solution).

If you do a quick search on the Internet about "RX100 battery drain", you will see that it is also a widely known problem. Or you can read the section "Known problems" in the corresponding section of the E:62:10 website.

The following are a few examples :

You may find herein some possible hints & tips to reduce the energy consumption of your device, but basically it's a known problem with this model.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

hey chwikan, try another battery and see if the same thing happens with it, I am not sure how bad is it since it is originally normal for the battery to drain while the camera is off.

profile.country.US.title
sony.e.62.10
Contributor

I am sorry but again this is NOT normal.

Take a look at the excellent test carried out on dpreview (also referred above)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3925493

Both tests have been carried out with the same battery, the above curve IS normal, the below curve is NOT normal.

0ff30f735d6540f595ccba00d390d48e.jpg