Join now - be part of our community!

How to disable dictionay on PRS-650?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
facade
Visitor

How to disable dictionay on PRS-650?

My reader has an annoying habit of highlighting a group of words and activating the dictionary, rather than simply turning the page when I swipe the screen.

As I can't ever remember looking up the meaning of a word when reading a book, the simplest solution would be to disable it, or at least the active text feature: I might just want to look a word up occaisionally, and I'm happy to type it in.

I have tried looking for a white space, and oh so carefully swiping with just the point of a finger, but that slows down the whole reading experience and makes it awkward to use.

The only real alternative is to use the buttons, but that rather negates the touch screen.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi facade,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately as far as I am aware it's not possible to disable the dictionary..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dublevay
Visitor

I've found that a tiny (1cm) flick towards the bottom left or right of the page is enough to turn the page, and on normal zoom, that tends to be a white space area for me.

Have to admit, I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever use a dictionary when reading - but as this reader came with a lot of classics (and I've started reading Jane Eyre), I've found the dictionary a huge boon to be honest. In the past, I'd have made assumptions about meanings. Now, with the dictionary, I can see that quite a few of those assumptions would have been wrong. It's a top feature that I had no idea about when buying it. It's a damnd good dictionary too, IMHO.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi facade,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately as far as I am aware it's not possible to disable the dictionary..

facade
Visitor

Thanks for the replies.

I'm more used to it now, and I find that a nice flat finger sweep top right to middle left (over the text)  will change the page 95% of the time, the other 5% highlight all the text I swept over.

Doesn't seem any reason for this that I can figure out:smileyconfused:

Maybe it is some external factor, like reading under fluorecsent light, confusing the infra red sensor sometimes?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the feedback facade..:smileyhappy: