Join now - be part of our community!

kindle to ereader library

profile.country.en_GB.title
vonnie68
Visitor

kindle to ereader library

i have an Ipad with the kindle app on it but this is no good when trying to read in the sun (only good for lying in bed reading).......i am going on holiday and would like to transfer some books from my kindle app to my ereader..............is this possible

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

You don't say what reader you have, however as this is a Sony forum I'll asume its a Sony

In a word and officially no you can't. Kindle books are designed for a kindle reader or app. Sony readers read epub books

My only suggestion is to head over to mobileread forum and ask the same question, they may be able to offer more advice than I can.

One other thing, if you've a Sony ereader why buy books from Amazon?

Message was edited by: sehuxle

carpetmojo

If you have the original downloads of the books still on your pad, try installing Calibre and drag 'n dropping 'em into the Library area.

Don't know if it works on a pad, but I don't see why not.

(You may have to r/click first on the d/load and select "Open Containing Folder ", then drag & drop that icon)

[ sehuxle, p'raps they've visited Alf ? ]

vonnie68
Visitor

Thanks all..I have a sony PRS-650...........I dont really buy books on kindle app, I usually wait and get the odd free book (some of which are usually very good) and I would like to take some of them away on holiday with me on my sony ereader but don't think i will be able to...........My ereader does take a memory card but I still cant manage to find out how to move books from kindle app to memory card.

thanks for all comments.

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Whilst they are free ebooks they'll still be in the Kindle format and need to be converted but they may also have DRM protection. If so then technically it won't be possible.

To get access to the books themselves it maybe better to install 'Kindle for PC' and download them on to your PC (or Mac) instead. Then install Calibre software convert them to epub and transfer (using Calibre) to your Sony. But if they have DRM protection as mentioned above this won't be possible.

I do suggest you go over to Mobileread forums. They have very knowleable people over there.

Yes carpetmojo (and anyone else for that matter) Alf is a nice friend to have.

carpetmojo

Yup :slight_smile:

And, as you intimated, sometimes kindlebooks don't have DRM, but it's a case of try it and see......

'Course, that also means that, in the "justification" mantra regarding DRM, by Amazon, and others, there are obviously some books that, according to the line that DRM is to prevent piracy, they consider not worth protecting ! What a load of old codswallop ..... :thinking: :angry:

Message was edited by: carpetmojo