Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop cannot 'see' Sony Touchscreen e-reader

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pabirch78
Visitor

Laptop cannot 'see' Sony Touchscreen e-reader

I've had the Sony Touchscreen Ereader since last December and at first had no problems.  Today I've fully powered up the battery directly from the mains to the Reader  But when I then try to connect Reader to computer ready to add books, the message on the Reader is first of all 'USB connected' and then below that  'Charging stopped as no power supply is being detected.  Computer is plugged into mains and online. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something stupid please!!  Can load books on to Other Half's Sony PRS505 no problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carpetmojo

Try sticking another device in that port - if it is OK with some other device, if that says yes I'm here, or charges OK, then yes, it's either the cable or the reader socket usually - but rare.

So, ideally, if you've got something that takes the small plug end, try the Sony cable on that, it should work OK .. [N.B. not anything Apple-y though ] Equally, any cable with a USB plug one end and a small plug that'll fit the T1, and works it, will confirm if it's the cable that's dodgy

You charged the T1 from the wall OK, so that side does seem OK, and the fact you couldn't charge via the USB more or less says it is the cable.

I'd suggest go through the checks... and then sling the cable back for a replacement !. :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
carpetmojo

Hello pabirch - do you have the 3/650 or the T1 ?

The 3/650 will show these if the site (ie Calibre, Reader) is closed down.(ie you've finished downloading). On the T1 I've only spotted "Make sure transfer data has been completed " -  have to check tomorrow  !

First, have you checked in My Computer to check the device is showing up as connected, if not please do so.

And are you using Reader or Calibre, and have you actually tried to transfer any content ?

And finally, are you using a hub, or a PC USB socket direct ?

pabirch78
Visitor

Hello - thank you for trying to help me and so quickly too!!  Firstly, I've got the 3/650 and yes, Calibre and Reader were both loaded.  I did try to solve the problem by having Reader on at first and the uninstalling it. This didn't achieve anything.

I haven't been unable to try and transfer data because the pc doesn't 'see' the Reader even though the USB cable is linking the two - i.e. on the Calibre page there is no indicator at the top of screen for the e-reader. You are correct, the computer is not seeing the e-reader.

Lastly, although as I said I powered up the reader by means of cable from it to the mains [I had to do this because the cable from e-reader to pc didn't let me recharge] its the USB cable from e-reader to pc that is causing the problem - and this is a pc direct USB.  Is it possible the cable is faulty?

carpetmojo

Try sticking another device in that port - if it is OK with some other device, if that says yes I'm here, or charges OK, then yes, it's either the cable or the reader socket usually - but rare.

So, ideally, if you've got something that takes the small plug end, try the Sony cable on that, it should work OK .. [N.B. not anything Apple-y though ] Equally, any cable with a USB plug one end and a small plug that'll fit the T1, and works it, will confirm if it's the cable that's dodgy

You charged the T1 from the wall OK, so that side does seem OK, and the fact you couldn't charge via the USB more or less says it is the cable.

I'd suggest go through the checks... and then sling the cable back for a replacement !. :slight_smile:

pabirch78
Visitor

Almost certain its the cable and they are under £3 from Amazon anyway!!  Thank you for your help on this one!!

pabirch78
Visitor

The cable it was!!!