Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-T1 early screen failure

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
afirvin
New

PRS-T1 early screen failure

It looks like the screen has failed on my Sony PRS-T1 after only 18 months of operation. Cost over £100 to have it repaired by Sony? Has anyone has a similar failure and any ideas on how to resolve more cost effectively?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carpetmojo

Screen Failed ? Do you mean it won't come on, or do you mean the screen has a strange appearance ?

If the former, are you sure the device is charged up ? Very rare for a screen to simply give up the ghost .....

However, if it has lines, grey areas, or other strange features on the screen when it powers up, then you've almost certainly got a damaged sub-strata fault. This is 90+PERCENTAGESIGN the result of a sharpish impact, causing the screen to flex, which is all it takes to damage it. (You may have done it without realising it.)The top layer of the screen is tough, it's the next layer that is fragile.I have heard of one case where a dog "trod" on a screen (something larger than a chiwhawotsit, I'd suggest....) and did for it. Another fairly common one is falling asleep on it .... :neutral:

And the only solution is to replace the screen, hence the high cost. It's baqsically more cost effective to replace the reader, new, refurbed, or used - buyer beware, obviously .... Unless there's a back-street reader repair shop with a pipline into a screen factory !

This is not just Sony readers by the way, all readers have this weak spot - sometimes the slightest flex, like a few inches drop onto a carpet will be enough to kill it.

( Luck is also involved, of course, whatever the reader - I think I've managed to drop/lean on all of the Sony range, and a Bookeen, and all still survive. Actually, thinking logically, the T1/2 & 3 when it appears, should be better than the x50 generation in this respect, they're lighter ! :cool:

Anyway, hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
carpetmojo

Screen Failed ? Do you mean it won't come on, or do you mean the screen has a strange appearance ?

If the former, are you sure the device is charged up ? Very rare for a screen to simply give up the ghost .....

However, if it has lines, grey areas, or other strange features on the screen when it powers up, then you've almost certainly got a damaged sub-strata fault. This is 90+PERCENTAGESIGN the result of a sharpish impact, causing the screen to flex, which is all it takes to damage it. (You may have done it without realising it.)The top layer of the screen is tough, it's the next layer that is fragile.I have heard of one case where a dog "trod" on a screen (something larger than a chiwhawotsit, I'd suggest....) and did for it. Another fairly common one is falling asleep on it .... :neutral:

And the only solution is to replace the screen, hence the high cost. It's baqsically more cost effective to replace the reader, new, refurbed, or used - buyer beware, obviously .... Unless there's a back-street reader repair shop with a pipline into a screen factory !

This is not just Sony readers by the way, all readers have this weak spot - sometimes the slightest flex, like a few inches drop onto a carpet will be enough to kill it.

( Luck is also involved, of course, whatever the reader - I think I've managed to drop/lean on all of the Sony range, and a Bookeen, and all still survive. Actually, thinking logically, the T1/2 & 3 when it appears, should be better than the x50 generation in this respect, they're lighter ! :cool:

Anyway, hope this helps

afirvin
New

I'm pretty sure it is a screen failure although it hasn't been subject to a sudden impact. I finished reading one evening, put it into standby and placed ontop of a set sideboard. next morning when I went to switch it on it was dead. I thought that perhaps it had discharged so tried charging but still no joy.

The PRS -T1 has been in a Sony hardshell case which I bought with the device and either stays at home or travels with me in a briefcase. I would have expected the PRS-T1 to be robust enough for this as it is promoted as a portable device!

I didn't feel comfortable buying another Sony so went out and bought a Kobo Touch which is half the price and equally as good. So far I'm extremely happy with my new reader and won't risk another Sony device.

carpetmojo

Well, if you think the screen has just degraded, and is a materials/hardware fault, I suggest the Sale of Goods Act is there for that pupose.

If an item is not "fit for purpose" you are entitled to refund/replacement - free - and the time span is not limited by any guarantee term - all "guarantees" are in fact a hook by all companies offering them, to make buyers think they are getting something extra, whereas your consumer rights are enshrined in law under the S of G Act, in the UK at any rate..... The time limit for claims is described as simply "reasonable length" . In practise, this is almost always longer than most guarantees offer.

This law is definitely on the consumer's side, and the mention of the act is usually enought to make retailers appreciate you're not a patsy, and acknowledge the fact. If they say it doesn't apply, or they claim no knowledge of it - tell 'em you'll see 'em in the Small Claims Court ...... :cool:

It doesn't usually come to that, as I have found out.