Join now - be part of our community!

Question - PRS-350

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MarySaunders
Visitor

Question - PRS-350

I was charging my Sony e-reader PRS-350 last week and the screen froze on 'Charging Battery'. I can't switch on or off and the reader doesn't register on my PC. I have tried the soft reset but no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carpetmojo

Hello Mary - were you using USB via PC/laptop to charge ?

Sometimes problems arise from this as the computer may nod-off/put itself into sleep mode, which causes problems with the battery, and the reset won't help.In fact it has been known to actually drain the battery on the x50's, say if it's left plugged in overnight.

It does sound like it wants a good solid charge-up.

Can I suggest you try a mains charger - this does give a much better charge, and more reliably consistent. You won't overcharge iteven if you leave it on overnight, and that'll really bring it up to scratch, or should..

( I've found a USB adapter plug charger works just fine, and some phone-chargers (Samsung is one) seem OK too - but DON'T use anything Apple-related, they don't like each other and can cause damage. )

Then try a reset, and if you have no joy, then the other option is a hard reset, but you need to back-up or make sure you still have the books on computer, as you lose all content with a hard reset.

If that doesn't help,it's probably a faulty battery, or possibly a reader fault - if it's a fairly recent purchase take it back to the retailers, and quote the warranty period if it's year, and bung in the Sale of Goods Act too, especially if it's just outside the limit.

( A battery definitely shouldn't die in  year ! ) Check your PM's.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
carpetmojo

Hello Mary - were you using USB via PC/laptop to charge ?

Sometimes problems arise from this as the computer may nod-off/put itself into sleep mode, which causes problems with the battery, and the reset won't help.In fact it has been known to actually drain the battery on the x50's, say if it's left plugged in overnight.

It does sound like it wants a good solid charge-up.

Can I suggest you try a mains charger - this does give a much better charge, and more reliably consistent. You won't overcharge iteven if you leave it on overnight, and that'll really bring it up to scratch, or should..

( I've found a USB adapter plug charger works just fine, and some phone-chargers (Samsung is one) seem OK too - but DON'T use anything Apple-related, they don't like each other and can cause damage. )

Then try a reset, and if you have no joy, then the other option is a hard reset, but you need to back-up or make sure you still have the books on computer, as you lose all content with a hard reset.

If that doesn't help,it's probably a faulty battery, or possibly a reader fault - if it's a fairly recent purchase take it back to the retailers, and quote the warranty period if it's year, and bung in the Sale of Goods Act too, especially if it's just outside the limit.

( A battery definitely shouldn't die in  year ! ) Check your PM's.