Join now - be part of our community!

Are Sony going to resolve the VAT Refund Problem?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Steveg2
Visitor

Are Sony going to resolve the VAT Refund Problem?

I bought a very nice Sony Vaio before Xmas, for my son, on the basis that it was a good product but the deciding factor was the VAT refund element.  I wasted no time in filling out the form, it was sent before Xmas, and on Friday I received a letter, I assume to be confirming my refund, but not it was a rejection, which I believe to be on very dodgy ground!   No original purchase/till receipt - I bought it online and I had sent every bit of paperwork which Sony had supplied me with (they supplied it direct, so surely they can check!?) and also the one about non-qualifying product!  Nowhere on your site or your promotions do you specficy that it only a applied to some products, nowhere!

I don't believe for one second that Sony set out for this to be a scam, but that's what it is beginning to look like.  How many of us have bought products and are now being made to jump through loop after loop to reclaim which was surely ours in the first place?

Sony, I don't feel much like filling in many more of your forms - you are treating us all appallingly.  It is for you a possible PR Disaster, so fix it quick.  I expect you to sort it, I shan't be chasing you, but like others will look forward to you being invited onto BBC's Watchdog! 

26 REPLIES 26
TakeSonyToCourt
Visitor

I AM COMPLETELY DISGUSTED WITH SONY.   This is a huge marketing scam similar which is up there with "Readers Digest". I bought a pink Vaio directly from Sony's website thinking this has to be true..Needless to say , the laptop was not part of the promotion. 

I hope the Marketing Manager who approved the idea to hide the participating sony product list, have sleepless nights!!!!.. I can understand it was recession but to scam people like this right before Christmas.

WORSE OF ALL, I sent my VAT Refund application before end of Dec. I only received a letter back from Sony in mid March to say "sorry for the delay, we are busy with alot of others which we are scamming".. after a few day another letter to say my application is declined as its not part of the promotion..

YOu expect this type of marketing from a low budget stuggling orginization not from Sony. I guess the Sony shareprice must have dropped alot for them to resort to such low marketing and sales scams..

Lets just say this will definately be the last Sony product I buy. I would rather fork out money on competitors than SONY. And i will make sure I do not put Sony in a good light with anyone..

Kapish!!!!!!!!    :angry:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

The best I can offer to those of you with problems is to send a private message with your details to StartTheCar, hopefully he'll be able to help if he can..

Use the following link to send a Private Message to: StartTheCar

StartTheCar
Contributor

As Thalamus suggests, drop me a PM with any and all details you have.  Your name, address and any reference you have been given, and I will look into it.

I have been working with other forum users on this issue for a while now and have so far got through the vast majority of them with all legitimate claims being processed and paid.

More details can be found here  http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/114552?start=16&tstart=0  Benefit of the search function 😉

Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards
Lee

theduff
Visitor

Hello Lee,

I send you a PM last week but haven't heard anything so just wanted to check if you actually got it.

Sent 11/03.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Theduff

StartTheCar
Contributor

theduff

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, just replied to your mail.  Will hopefully have it sorted very soon.

Regards
Lee

theduff
Visitor

Hello Lee,

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated. I don't mind waiting for a little bit more - couple more days won't hurt will they. Fingers crossed 😉

I'm sure I'm in the same boat as a lot of peeps, who were hoping to use the VAT rebate to pay off the credit card used to buy the Sony product in the first place. I've got another month of interest free on my card then the interest gets whacked on so hopefully it will arrive in time.

Thanks

Dgrumps
Visitor

HI,
According to Sony,two payments where issued a two payments to my RBS  account on the 31st Jan  2011. The first was for £122.43  ( for a 40" tv   from you Lewis) and the  second for £25.32 ( for a blue ray player from  amazon).
Despite giving them  an account number and sort code they  still HAVE  NOT given me A PENNY.  When pushed, they sent a letter saying that they  issued the money....right!
i am still pursing the case.

Dose anyone know who Sony bank with?