Join now - be part of our community!

Recommended Freeware - What's Your Favourite??

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Recommended Freeware - What's Your Favourite??

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a new post here for people to share their favourite 'freeware' programs for Windows PC's. Ideally it would be nice if you can also give an idea of what it does so we can make an instant decision as to whether we want to download it. Screeshots would be useful too!

I have a number of great programs I would like to mention but to get the ball rolling here's one which will probably be useful to most of you.

Last year I was looking for a program to catalogue my ever growing movie collection. ideally I wanted something that I could edit on my computer but also access on my smart phone so I could browse my collection from the comfort of my armchair. As luck had it I chanced upon this great little program called 'Filmotech', it's so useful I cannot recommend it enough.

Initially I sat down and wrote out all of my movie titles, then one rainy weekend I started adding them to my new Filmotech database. Now that I have them all catalogued which really didn't take that long by the way, I just add new titles as I buy them. It's so much easier than maintaining Excel lists or however you do it now and the addition of the cover art and synopsis makes for easy recognition of older movies that you haven't seen in a while.

Filmotech is 'freeware' but you can make a donation if you wish to keep the program alive! It's dead simple to use too. Simply type in one of your movie titles and the software will do an instant IMDB search for Cover Art, Synopsis, cast & crew. It's a great way to tame your collection. It also has a backup feature so in the event of a system crash hard drive failure you can recover your database in an instant.

Here's a screenshot:

Download here: Filmotech - Download

Also available for iOS devices!

Filmotech.png

And here's how it looks on Android:

appszoom.jpg

appszoom.com.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use quite a bit of Freeware, but ill just list the main ones for DLNA / Media Streaming (all of which I have mentioned in the past):

Serviio : HERE

Handbrake : HERE

MakeMKV : HERE

MediaInfo : HERE

TagScanner : HERE

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus, I knew I could count on you for some good ones! I use Handbrake too, it's one of my favourites also. :slight_smile:

Will look at the others later.

Cheers.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Have you ever phoned a technical support line?

If so then you may be familiar with remote support sessions, you know the sort of thing whereby someone else takes control of your screen?. This next little beauty in my line up is called TeamViewer and is free for personal use.

It may not seem obvious what you might use it for so take a look at the demonstration video here:

TeamViewer 7 - Remote Control Any Computer

Download Link here:

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control

Now you can help fix your friends computer even if they live on the other side of the world. Even transfer files across if you want, the possibilities are endless.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I don't normally recommend mobile phone apps but this one has proven to be incredibly useful to me.

unnamed.png

WebPC Suite - Available from Google Play Store:

Web PC Suite: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geeksoft.wps

Description

Web PC Suite is a small and fast app which helps you manage Android phone/tablet on your PC/laptop web browser wirelessly.

Web PC Suite helps you totally replace your USB Cable with a web browser, transfer files between Android and computer and all over the air!

Web PC Suite is user friendly, small, fast, clean and useful!

And yes.., it's totally free! :slight_smile: