Join now - be part of our community!

SACD 'False' message

profile.country.en_GB.title
shavaugh
Explorer

SACD 'False' message

I have a collection of rare SACD discs which have cost me a pretty penny over the years. Needless to say, I would hate to lose or damage them so I openly admit to making copies of the discs to play whilst keeping the original discs safe on the shelf. But since a recent firmware update on my BDP-S590 Blu Ray player I now get a 'False' reading in the LCD display. Does this mean Sony have implemented some DRM that stops me from playing copied disc?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I'm not an expert in TV / Blu ray players etc but yes your model does have Cinavia

protection.

From wikipedia:

"Cinavia works to prevent copying via the detection of a watermark recorded into the analog audio of media such as theatrical films and Blu-ray discs. Note that the intent is to prevent all copying, both pirate copies and legal copies of one's own content, for example, for format shifting."

Batfinkk

I don't think Cinavia is part of the SACD standard as the wiki refers only to Blu-ray and I'd never heard of it being shifted to other formats. Assuming these discs are a few years old, Cinavia relies on watermarking as part of the actual disc image, so likely these discs were produced prior to it being rolled out to Blu-ray anyway. So very unlikely this is Cinavia in my opinion.

[Edited by Nadine1325 to remove links relating to piracy]

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Cheers for the input. :cool:

If its not some sort of protection I'm wondering if its an error of some sort?

Someone posted a similar problem in the USA forum but no-one posted a solution.

I can't find a reference to 'false' in the manual for your player either.

shavaugh
Explorer

Thanks for replying and confirmed my worst fears. I understand why DRM is essential in some ways but this is not going to work for me. Wish I'd known about this before I updated. I will have to find an alternative player as I won't be buying Sony again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Before you give up, have you tested the original SACD's - because if they dont work either, you may want to contact Sony directly and report a fault (possibly a firmware fault) as the specs say that SACD is supported.  If they work, and the burnt ones dont, try doing a direct bit-for-bit copy of the disc.

BTW, making copies for your own use is perfect fine :slight_smile:

Cheers

shavaugh
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

I chose 3 of my original SACD discs at random and they play fine. So it must have been something in the firmware update that's stopping the copied ones playing. I appreciate the feedback and advice.

Regards

Shaun

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok, I thought it might be worth a shot anyhow. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

D'oh the clue was in the question lol.

Firmware updates can sometimes be 'tempremental' :slight_frown:

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, was wondering if the FW update also disabled all SACD play-back.

One of the features that is needed (and requested) is to roll-back FW updates - especially for if/when it goes wrong.  But I dont see this being implemented unfortunately.