Join now - be part of our community!

SACD 'False' message

profile.country.en_GB.title
shavaugh
Explorer

SACD 'False' message

I have a collection of rare SACD discs which have cost me a pretty penny over the years. Needless to say, I would hate to lose or damage them so I openly admit to making copies of the discs to play whilst keeping the original discs safe on the shelf. But since a recent firmware update on my BDP-S590 Blu Ray player I now get a 'False' reading in the LCD display. Does this mean Sony have implemented some DRM that stops me from playing copied disc?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yeah - would certainly help alot :cool:

profile.country.en_GB.title
shavaugh
Explorer

Spent a few hours on the net looking for a solution and I have come across a forum which gave links to a way of reflashing with the original BDP-S590 firmware. It would appear that some folk have had success with it. If I went ahead my fear would be that I may void my 3 year warranty and maybe brick the unit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just giving it to you straight here:

Anything modifications you do, that is not officially sanctioned or authorised by Sony, will void your warranty unfortunately.

Found this explaination of copy protection in SACD on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD#Copy_protection

If others are having the same problem, also with the same firmware, then that is the likely change.  Unfortunately you probably will not get much support on this from Sony, purely due to the fact that the original SACD's work.

_____

On a personal note, I can fully understand your frustrations, especially as you have already purchased the SACD's and want to keep the original's in pristine condition.  I dont see the harm in making copies for your own personal use - but unfortuately we also live in a world of "give and inch, take a mile"

Cheers