Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

SOLVED
Nirurin
New

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

I recently purchases a sony a6000 camera from John Lewis, under the terms of the current sony camera cashback offer. This states that I receive £50 cashback if I purchase a camera during this time frame, as long as I send them the invoice which shows the date, invoice number, product model, etc. 

I have now done this 6 times. 

Every single time I send it, they respond with a different 'reason' that my claim is invalid. Sometimes it is that the date is not shown. Sometimes that the model number is not shown. Sometimes its the invoice number that isn't shown. 

However... I always send the exact same invoice document. And the document clearly shows the invoice date, invoice number, model number, etc etc. The document is perfectly fine. 

At first I gave sony the benefit of the doubt, assuming that it was some kind of automated service. However I have now had slightly different responses, but all having some degree of a copy/pasted response. Clearly the response team have been given a list of 'excuses' to respond with, in the hopes that their customer will just give up. 

I have contacted the customer services team by email on two seperate occasions, but am yet to receive a response. 

At this point I need to find out what the next stage of escalation would be. I have fulfilled sony's own terms and conditions to the letter, so I know that legally I am prefectly within my rights to expect the money that they owe me. However I do not know the best way to proceed. 

I hope someone on here can direct me in the right direction. 

97 REPLIES 97
26hopper
Explorer

i have the same problem with them every step of the way. now trying to tell me my bank details are incorrect. its my back not theirs i know they are correct. stalling hoping we get fed up. this is my first sony rx10 mk3 i was looking at replacing my nikon with the sony full frame. does not look good now. losing faith , i here many people having the same problems

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi :slight_smile:

I have answered in your other cashback thread  post.

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

I bought a camera from John lewis in November with a £150 cashback offered. I did all the same as everyone else here. Sent invoice, serial number etc. They keep telling me they will pay within 10 days I wait and then another excuse and I wait another 10 days. Today is 66 days since my claim was vallidated.  Two days ago I phoned again another excuse and an email to say they will pay within 28 days. phoned again  today and complained.  I was told a more senior person would phone me before 5pm. They didn't. I have now contacted trading standards. Who have taken my case. Told me to contact John Lewis. We have a case against them for misleading action. Under Consumer Protection of unfair trading regulations. They have 14 days to resolve the issue.  So hopefully I should get the money soon.  Remember you must complain before 90 days after purchase. Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Squire123,

Your issue has been escalated to support and someone will update this thread when we receive a response. 

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Squire,

I've just had a reply from Support and they have advised me that you will receive a call back from a manager with 24 hours.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

People just lie. They phoned when I was out, left a message to say they would phone back today. We have waited in all day not even used the phone so as not to miss the call. NOTHING. Then they send another email pretending they have called and left a message, it's just rubbish.   I have also had email saying my bank has returned the money. I have phoned the bank and they have assured me they have not and would not return money sent to my bank and had there been a problem they would have phoned me. As someone earlier  wrote, I  know my bank details,  it's MY bank. I just want the £150 Cash back owing to me. If Sony think I will give up on this claim,  they are wrong. PAY UP Sony.

edwardwhite
Explorer

I am having a similar problem. I am from the UK but bought a Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on the 8th June 2018 from Fotocasion in Madrid. I have proof of purchase and have tried to claim the cashback at https://www.sony.es/cashback/reembolso as I was told to in the store.  The website is saying that my purchase date falls outside the range in the offer, which it does not - the offer started on June 1st 2018. Incidentally any purchase date you put in here will give the same results - it appears they are just wanting people to give up trying and forfeit the cashback.

Please SONY can you sort this out, it is totally unacceptable and appalling customer service.

ed.white@mac.com

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

I did eventually get all the money owed to me.  It took months before they paid £75, I had to keep complaining for another month to get the remainder £75. As my cash back was for £150.  I had all the same excuses , Escalating my complaint , Manager will phone, Bank returned money (Not)   invoice wrong, out of date. It will be paid in ten days, then 28 days, then another 10days, etc etc .  In the end I contacted trading standards, whose advice I followed to the letter.   I contacted John Lewis where I bought the camera, they contacted Sony on my behalf. At first John Lewis didn't want to get involved but Trading standards advised me to go back to them with an official complaint, not just by email but a hard copy sent recorded delivery to head office.  

I kept ever email, I noted every phone call.  I would have kept going no matter how long it took.  But it is tiring and the expierience has completly put me off buying anything from Sony in the future. Customer service is none existent. 

Contact the store you bought it from, they have a legal obligation to make sure it is paid. As they advertised the cash back and you bought it from them because of the cash back offered. Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Ridingtoday
Explorer

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 19.22.15.pngIf you bought it from Amazon UK it would appear you are eligible, according to their website anyhow.

profile.country.GB.title
Alan.14
Explorer

Just about to submit my £150 cashback claim (RX100M3 kit from JL). Sounds ominous, but consistent with the hoops I had to jump through to register the thing. Here goes, I'll keep you posted......