Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

SOLVED
Nirurin
New

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

I recently purchases a sony a6000 camera from John Lewis, under the terms of the current sony camera cashback offer. This states that I receive £50 cashback if I purchase a camera during this time frame, as long as I send them the invoice which shows the date, invoice number, product model, etc. 

I have now done this 6 times. 

Every single time I send it, they respond with a different 'reason' that my claim is invalid. Sometimes it is that the date is not shown. Sometimes that the model number is not shown. Sometimes its the invoice number that isn't shown. 

However... I always send the exact same invoice document. And the document clearly shows the invoice date, invoice number, model number, etc etc. The document is perfectly fine. 

At first I gave sony the benefit of the doubt, assuming that it was some kind of automated service. However I have now had slightly different responses, but all having some degree of a copy/pasted response. Clearly the response team have been given a list of 'excuses' to respond with, in the hopes that their customer will just give up. 

I have contacted the customer services team by email on two seperate occasions, but am yet to receive a response. 

At this point I need to find out what the next stage of escalation would be. I have fulfilled sony's own terms and conditions to the letter, so I know that legally I am prefectly within my rights to expect the money that they owe me. However I do not know the best way to proceed. 

I hope someone on here can direct me in the right direction. 

97 REPLIES 97
profile.country.GB.title
hallmarkproductions
Explorer

Whilst I am absolutely fine with them checking legitimacy, the tone of the email is outrageous. They of course have "more than one cashback item", but, I have not asked for special or expedited service. The email sent by them is , in my opinion, potentially libellous. Worse, it offers no right of reply or appeal.

TJBurton
New

The whole system is built to line customers up for a fall, can't register too soon but there is also a deadline too.  Provide proof of purchase, they question it, provide proof of payment, they question that.  All hoping you'll go **** it and not bother.

Have called the support number, and they're telling me they have paid but only proof they can provide is two lines of text you could type out manually.  Speaking with our bank they can confirm no payment have been made, and have suggested the scheme is a scam.

My advice is to avoid their cashback offers, you'll never see the money, not without spending more effort than it's worth at least.  Just as well my EOS lenses work with the A7, not going to be spending any more with them on principle.

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

Hi There, These excuses are all the same the next one will be that they have escalated your  request only they just keep saying they are escalating it that's at least 3 times then they say they have paid it, but nothing is in the bank. After all that I went to trading standards who advised me to go back to the shop I bought it from as it is their responsibility,  which for me was John Lewis.  The first phone call,  they said it was nothing to do with them they just put the adverts up that Sony offer. So I went back to trading standards who said it is absolutely John Lewis responsibility as they advertised the cash back and I bought it from them because of the cash back offered. I could have bought it somewhere else for more but it was their offer that drew me  to buy from them. So I phoned John Lewis again and explained what trading standards had said.  They were then extremely helpful and phoned Soni on my behalf.  My money was paid straight away after that.  Good luck     

profile.country.GB.title
Bazzzra
Explorer

It's quite clear they try to wear you down. That makes me evan more
determined than they are to get justice.
profile.country.GB.title
Bazzzra
Explorer

You have to be more determined than they are to get wrongs put right, them backyards!

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

I quite agree, I am like a dog with a bone, I wouldn't have given up under any circumstances.  You just have to persevere.  

profile.country.GB.title
bluesky2020
Explorer

Hi. All,

I have got the same problem. I purchased one camera and one lens from the website of PARK CAMERAS (ClaimID:392024, and ClaimID:392020). they always got diffeent reasons to let you sending differrent document or photos.

1. First time: I filled the claim forms to them;

2. after one week, they emailed me and required to take the photo of  that my hand hold the product  on a paper with my name on it.  and I did it and sent them back.

3. then after few days, they emailed me and said my name was not clear on that photos. then I took the photo again, and sent it back.

4. Yesterday, they said that my photo did not show the model number,and required two photos. in fact, the lens has model on one side and serial numner on another side. they only required the serial number on first time.  I took the photos again.

5. today, they said the scanned invoices were not clear or missing some information. I do not know what missed and how was not clear. I scanned it again and sent it back.

I do not know what problem will be next. We will see it soon.

I spent nearly four thousands pounds on the camera and lens, and love them. why the cashback is so difficult?   I feel they deliberately made some obstacles for the cashback.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @bluesky2020  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I understand your frustration, however please be assured this is no deliberate attempt to delay

cashback claims.

Sony has been a victim of quite a number fraudulent cashback claims and they are now doing

this to ensure honest product owners are being handled as soon as possible.

(Also this is a measure to avoid someone fraudulently using customers' serial numbers before they do.)

Unfortunately the fraudsters have spoilt the process for the genuine customers 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Alan.14
Explorer

It’s nothing new. They’ve been playing these games for at least 2 years now. Don’t give up!

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
bluesky2020
Explorer

Hi.