Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S6700 SACD multichannel issues

SOLVED
alexdonc
Explorer

BDP-S6700 SACD multichannel issues

I 've bought this BD player with the specific intention of using it as a SACD player. I also have a 

STR-DN860 receiver that I use as primary amp and decoder. The connection between them is done through HDMI on the specific SACD/CD HDMI input of the receiver. Both run the latest firmware. I have correctly set from the SACD settings in the BDP-S6700 menu, also the multilayer set to CD/DVD instead of BD. Although at some point my receiver could decode the complete multichannel layer (in A.F.D. mode) - in that moment nothing was displayed on the VFD display of the receiver but the sound was normal from all the 5.1 speaker configuration - now I am not able to make it play as it should no matter what I do. With Music Settings/SACD set to multichannel instead of 2channel STEREO, it only decodes PCM2/0 88KHz - that info I have it on the STR-DN860 receiver, and the sound is plain STEREO, the other speakers are muted. I have tried it with another universal disc player capable of delivering DSD through HDMI and the receiver works fine. I have returned the BD-S6700 unit to service. I wonder if this is an isolated case or is it a firmware issue. I must add that I ran the test with more than one hybrid SACD - with surround track on them. Same problem. Is there anybody with the same issue here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexdonc
Explorer

Meanwhile, after I sent it to service, they couldn’t "repair" it, so I exchanged it with a more expensive one, model UHP-H1. The surprise was this one had same issue - so I quickly understood it must be something in the receiver settings - STR-DN860. And after 15 minutes of tests and combinations in the HDMI settings it worked. Don't asked me why or what was the most important setting because I still don't know :slight_smile: But it's solved. I am more that confident the original S6700 was OK but the problem was somewhere in the receiver settings.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Going by the lack of issues reported about SACD on the BDP-S6700, I would say that your issue is indeed an isolated case.  Please let us know how it goes when your player has returned from being repaired.

Cheers

alexdonc
Explorer

Meanwhile, after I sent it to service, they couldn’t "repair" it, so I exchanged it with a more expensive one, model UHP-H1. The surprise was this one had same issue - so I quickly understood it must be something in the receiver settings - STR-DN860. And after 15 minutes of tests and combinations in the HDMI settings it worked. Don't asked me why or what was the most important setting because I still don't know :slight_smile: But it's solved. I am more that confident the original S6700 was OK but the problem was somewhere in the receiver settings.