Join now - be part of our community!

How to limit Spotify volume on STR-DN1080?

profile.country.GB.title
ssbarnea

170821-1732.png

I was unable to find any option for limiting the maximum volume level for Spotify apps. I am forced to use a volume that is very close to zero and is very easy to mis-click and end-up with a volume that will tear the house down.

Clearly we need a way to limit the upper-volume level so we can use normal volume controls in our apps.

It seems that we have the same kind of problem with BT, not only with Spotify Coonect.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @ssbarnea,

There is no volume limiter on the receiver, so this is something you'll need to address with Spotify.  It might be worth having a look at the Spotify Community, as it looks like this topic has been discussed quite a bit already.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
ssbarnea

My message on Spotify forums can be found at https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyiOS/message-id/81125

Shortly is 100% Sony faul that they didn't fix this. The product was sold with very few online-music services and this issue would have being found in the first two hours of QA!

Maybe is time to give this problem a well deserved name. Volugate? Sony-Spottygate?  any ideas?

I already gave STR-DB1080 an elaborous 3/5 review on Amazon.

PS. The volume limit was supposed to be controlable per input source, but again it does not work because Sony never implemented it. I am watching (Bravia) TV at a volume of ~8-12 but for Spotify I need to use 4-5 for the same level of noise.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @ssbarnea,

I have escalated this to our Support team, so someone should be in touch soon.

Thanks,
Cass

profile.country.GB.title
ssbarnea

Just to be clear: nobody from Sony contacted me to sort out this problem, which would not be such a big problem if I would knew that they are working on releasing a new firmware that addresses this issue.

This is a well known and date back to online reports even since 2015 or even earlier, it affects all Sony receivers. Obviously that it can be fixed with a firmware update, only if Sony would ever release a firmware update.

Also this problem affects both Bluetooth and Spotify Connect playing, the same kind of problem applies identically to both. Without a feature for limiting the upper volume the customers have no chance of fixing it, other than selling their stuff and buying another brand, most of them do have this basic feature: Onkyo, Yamahe, even lower end models.

PS. Should I mention that the latest receiver menus look like 480p, not even 1080p when the receiver is rated as 4K?! ... I guess that's a retro feature :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi just double checking nobody has contacted you

since this was escalated?

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @ssbarnea - I have looked into this and found out that Support was unable to contact you via phone, so they emailed instead.  I will follow up with you via direct message to check they have the right email address.

profile.country.GB.title
ssbarnea

Just to be clear:

• no email from sony sony support
  • no phone call (or SMS) from Sony support
  • no private message
  • STR-DN1080 has latest firmware (got two updates, node addressed that)

Problem is still the same and is can be reproduced by ANY Spotify user and ANY Spotify client with STR-DN1080.

The internet is full of identical reports, and is clearly inside Sony firmware, which contains Spotify client. Spotify cannot fix it, only Sony can release new firmwares. 

If Sony would contact me to provide a pre-release firmware to test and validate it, I would be more than willing to test it, but we can only dream.... and do some long term planning to avoid the brand.

PS. My address is public, sorin dot sbarnea at gmail (also iMessage enabled).

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @ssbarnea,

That is very strange as I sent you a private message on 13th September 2017, but it still appears as 'unread'.  In the message I asked to clarify your email address and listed the dates on which the Support team emailed you.  It looks like we do have your correct email address, so perhaps the emails went to your junk/spam folder?   The Support team say that do not have an accurate phone number for you, so if you are able to view my private message (or just send me a new private message) and can reply with your phone number that would be helpful.

Thanks,

C

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again @ssbarnea,

Thanks for following up with me via PM. 

As mentioned in my last message (copying here to keep the thread updated), I have followed up on this topic with the Support team, and your feedback has been passed onto HQ for review.  However I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you as there no forseen fix for your model unfortunately. 

C