Join now - be part of our community!

MEX-GS820BT Power Requirements

profile.country.GB.title
donaldeunson
New

MEX-GS820BT Power Requirements

I have purchased the above unit for use as the secondary music system for a Camper Van conversion, which has been delivered to the Camper Van converter. I am attempting to define the wiring required for permanent installation in the furniture.
The unit is to be used as a music system when the vehicle is stationary and the engine off. It will be run from the Camper auxiliary/leisure battery system which will be completely isolated from the vehicle battery system. I have to replicate the ignition/auxiliary functionality of the Red (Switched) wire and Orange/White (Illumination) wire in the included wiring adaptor, and had planned to use switches to achieve this. I need to ensure that the switches will be rated for the currents in these wires.
I suspect (but cannot be sure) that the bulk of the 15A potential max current will be supplied via the Yellow (Permanent) wire and that the current on the previously mentioned wires will be low level switch control, but I would like confirmation that I have correctly understood the functionality of the unit. It would also be very useful to know what the parasitic off current would be, in order to gauge the long term effect on the drain of the leisure battery system.
In addition, it would be useful for an indication of the power dissipation of the Head Unit. It was chosen because of the Class D power stage, in order to minimise the drain on the Camper Van/Leisure Battery power system, but as it is intended to be installed in an unvented cupboard I am concerned that I may have to add a fan to vent the cupboard. I suppose that the easiest way to ask the question would be:
What is the power dissipated in the Head Unit if the four speaker outputs are being driven at close to their maximum, which I surmise as 180W (12V x 15A)?
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Donald,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I'm not sure and not many end-users will know this type of technical specs.  Hopefully someone in the community may be able to answer your question.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc