Join now - be part of our community!

2011 Range ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
seboyad

2011 Range ?

Hi,

With CES2011 over, did I miss it or was there no announcement of what's in store for 2011 and BR/HDD Recorders?

Any official info out there?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Demand for Blu-ray recorders is so low unfortunately the consequence is that not many manufacturers are making them.

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
seboyad

I see there is a link on the Sony.co.uk homepage for 2011 stuff, but there is only talk of new Blu-ray players.  Nothing about HDD DVD/BR Recorders .

Come on guys, I don't want to buy Panasonic, but Sony have neglected this segment for too long!

Catmambo
Contributor

Demand for Blu-ray recorders is so low unfortunately the consequence is that not many manufacturers are making them.

Thanks

seboyad

Hi Catmambo,

I see your point, but Sony already have these products in other markets and Panasonic seems to be maintaining a presence.  Could it be more to do with Sony Pictures and copyright infringement with HD.

Anyway, I'm sort of resigned to no Sony domestic Blu-ray burners outside of my PC for now.

I'm still in the market for a HDD/DVD Recorder with Freeview HD, and I can't see any reason not to provide this, other than fear of high quality Dual-Layer DVD backups (as I already do with my Sony HD Camcorder to PC).  Can anyone answer this question?

Catmambo
Contributor

No - simply there is very little demand in the domestic markets and the amount of re-working Japanese units would need to meet DTG specifications for Freeview HD make it a non-starter for the volume that would be sold I think,

I'd watch this space for info on HDD Recorders...

Thanks

seboyad

Hi Catmambo,  any news on the 2011 range?

Thanks.

tallscholes
Visitor

similar question from me...

if Panasonic have one product that does Freeview HD recording, internet streaming and plays blu ray discs, do Sony have any plans to produce a similar product?

Catmambo
Contributor

As per the note from January - nothing in the 2011 range planned in terms of a BD recorder with HDD. The market demand for such a product just doesn't exist to make it commerically viable..

The HD PVR however is a cracking product..

tallscholes
Visitor

unfortunately the HD PVR doesn't have a DVD player/recorder in it.

I have an old Sony HDD/DVD recorder but it doesn't have a Freeview tuner built-in.

I was hoping that Sony would have made a box with Freeview HD, HDD, DVD player/recorder all in one.

Can't see that product on the horizon either?

Be even better if it has Blu ray player/internet streaming but it looks like only Panasonic make anything close.