Join now - be part of our community!

Appauling crashes and loss of USB memory stick connection with Sony Blu-Ray Player

profile.country.en_GB.title
iagibso49

Appauling crashes and loss of USB memory stick connection with Sony Blu-Ray Player

After many hours and having coaxed my BDP-S470 to (after an eternity) loading up BDLive using 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' Blu-Ray, I decide to explore the amazing (ahem) world of BDLive.

What happens? My memory stick is secure, double checked, and yet 9 times out of 10, the Blu-Ray player gets half way through a download and then comes up with the error message 'USB device has stopped responding. Check to make sure it's plugged in properly'. And yes, every time, it is plugged in properly.

Following this, the unit sometimes loses the internet connection, and this is often followed up by a complete re-boot of the player.

Has anyone at Sony actually tested this facility on this player, and what is going to be done about this shoddy/unreliable implementation of BDLive on this player?

2 REPLIES 2
Teddy_Westside
Explorer

You seem to be starting a lot of threads on the same topic and making it sound like this is a widespread problem. But is it? I have scanned the forum and have so far only seen you having trouble (feel free to point me in the direction of other people's threads on this issue). Now, it's bad that even one person has a technical problem but it could be just your S470 at fault (if indeed there is an actual fault).

I must admit the Sony manual is lacking in some areas (for example, no explanation of the basics of DLNA or how to ensure your PC is set up to stream files to the S470 - I had to do a bit of searching on Google to sort that out). However, I have had no operational difficulties with my machine one=ce I got it set up correctly, and this is my first experience of Blu-ray so I'm no expert.

I'd certainly like to see a firmware update which would allow both USB ports to work with a storage device for BD-Live, giving users a choice of using 2 devices or one device and a dongle.

iagibso49

OK - the number of threads is not relevant. Let's talk about the actual issue here ...

I've been very through. I have a full Wireless N media network with lots of equipment connected to it. What I'm saying is that I'm very thorough in all connectivity elements.

The Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray play has, beyond doubt, come across as being the most shoddiest piece of equipment out of all of them. The design seems to have been rushed and not thought through from an operational point of view. The lack of testing of iPlayer, the lack of testing of BDLive, the lack of thought towards high end users who aspect certain aesthetic elements to living environment and not ugly cables pointing out everywhere. I've bought lots of Sony equipment in my time, and the BDP-S470 is a real disappointment.