Join now - be part of our community!

BBC One problems

jra505

BBC One problems

Hello,

For a few weeks now I have an issue where my hxd890 kept adding an additional BBC One channel on Channel 810, and would preferentially try to record from that, even though there was no signal. Any chance this issue is related to the recent EPG issue?

Jra505
14 REPLIES 14
jra505

Any idea between what times I'd need to turn it off to avoid the channel reprogramming issue?
pewrigh38

I would say something like 0130 to 0730 should be fine and mine is set to something similar on the mains timer switch

attenuating your signal slightly may also have the effect of stopping interference from other transmitters

but the advice given by sony support is also good (have an aerial installer sort it properly)

johkaye
Explorer

>>but the advice given by sony support is also good (have an aerial installer sort it properly)

I don't think that is very good advice.  I can just imagine the response and sucking through teeth if I asked the local aerial people to prevent random reception from distant sources...

I have this issue and very annoying it is too.  Switching off the PV at mains wouldn't work for me as it finds these channels durring the day when I retune.

What I am struggling with is the skip channel feature.  I believe that works, but when I switch off the PVR (to standby) it forgets the setting.

So, what am I doing wrong?  How can I set "skip channel" so it remembers when it's on standby?

pewrigh38

frankly, I believe its excellent advice

sony are not responsible for the transmissions in your area, or mine either , digital_uk is , hence their advice that you have your aerial changed or adjusted such that you do not get interference from alternative transmitters other than your main transmitter, and such that you dont pick up alternative channels (welsh channels in my case although I am off winter hill)

I am not sure that the sony recorder can be "programmed" to ignore or skip these alternative channels that appear from 801 onwards

the point sony and I are making is that various aerials exist , wideband , narrow band etc, and they have no way of knowing that you have the correct aerial fitted for your location

and a CAI installer should be able to ensure that your aerial only picks up transmissions from your main transmitter and no others, if necessary by using a narrow band aerial or the use of filters , or possibly attenuating the signal a bit in order to prevent your tuner from picking up these "stray" signals

I actually suggested the use of filters earlier (similar to the ones for 4g), and you could try an attenuator to reduce the signals by inserting it into the aerial feed into your sony recorder. I also suggested turning the box off overnight too , with suitable times (mine are on mechanical timers)

I dont understand why you have asked sony for advice, then asked on here for advice , then ignore it when its freely given !!

if you were an aerial installer or a techie, you would need to ask, I assume you are not and that is why you asked, but to then ignore the advice seems daft to me

if there was a way of blocking or removing these unwanted channels I would tell you, maybe sony should incorporate it into any new firmware, but I do not believe that channel skip will help , what is really needed is a firmware redesign in order to allow a user to stop the unit actively seeking channel updates , which would be great if they did it. or if you could specify that the unit only scanned between 2 different rf channels, narrowing the search (in my case from say rf ch 49 to 62 or whatever they are for me

hope you take some of this advice and it works for you, especially adding filters or attenuators , which is what I would try first, then rescan

Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ As above - fully agree ^^^