Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N590 - Sudden Loud Hiss

profile.country.en_GB.title
bernardsullivan2001
Explorer

BDV-N590 - Sudden Loud Hiss

Dear Forum members,

I would appreciate any help on the folllowing. My BDV-N590 is connected to a Sony Bravia TV, Foxsat HDR, Ipod and stand-alone CD player. It initially all works extremely well. However, after listening some time, the normal sound is replaced by an full volume hiss which is really disturbingly loud. The cure seems to be to use the function button on the 590 to change the input source and then return it again to the original source. All is then fixed for a while until it happens again. So far, I have only experienced the problem when using the HDMI input. In normal operation, even when ocassional video distrurbance occurs, the sound is fine. Thanks for any advice.

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
HowarthMark
New

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem,  My BDV-N590 is connected to a Samsung LED TV and SKY HD 1TB box.  The sound happens sporadically whether watching a Blue-Ray disc or watching Sky using the unit to deliver the sound.  The sound is a full volume hiss which is very loud and the only cure I have found is to tunr the unit fully off and the back on again. This really needs a firmware fix as the sound is so loud as to put our familly off using the unit at all.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi - are you running the latest firmware on the product? Try updating the firmware & then running a factory reset. If there is still an issue, then I would speak to your local service agent who should be able to support. I haven't come across this issue before though.

Thanks

bernardsullivan2001
Explorer

Yes, latest firmware. In fact, after giving up on the problem when Humax blamed Sony and Sony blamed Humax, I have just tried again with exactly the same results. It seems that any recordings on the Foxsat, or an iplayer programmed being viewed, the sudden deafening hiss erupts from time to time. Switching OFF/On cures it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Reading back on your issue - could it be a HDMI handshake issue?  Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable?

How is it all connected?  Can I assume that you are using the HDMI-ARC ports on the Bluray player AND the TV?

If you have the Humax directly connected to the N590 - what happens if you connect it to the TV instead, and then just output the sound to the N590?

Cheers

bernardsullivan2001
Explorer

For a long while, I changed the wiring from the original direct HDMI output from the Foxsat to the BDL HDMI input, and started feeding th Foxsat to the TV and then the sound back to the BDL using the ARC facility as you suggested. This cured the problem at the expense of complicating the use of the remotes no end, which is why I want to revert to the direct wiring an solve the problem. Note that problem only occurs if using the Foxsat for playout of recordings or for feeding iplayer to the TV. Again, it happens quite sporadically, maybe once every 30 mins or so. I could send you a block schematic of both wiring configs if I had an email to send it to.

bernardsullivan2001
Explorer

Further to my last message, I can now confirm that the full volume hiss also occurs with live programmes direct from the Foxsat freesat receiver, so the problem is not somply confined to recordings or internet-fed programmes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bernardsullivan2001 

Hey there

I have read and re-read your posts on your "hissing" issue and the only conclusion that I can come up with is a connection/wiring issue (faulty HDMI cables....) or a faulty product. 

I am also wondering if there is some type of electronic interferrence - So you could try a HDMI cable with a ferrite core at either end:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Cable-Ferrite-Panasonic-Samsung/dp/B0047PIBEG/

Other than that, unless another forum member can assist, my only advice is to contact Sony Support (of which you have already done).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I thinks you have a big snake under your sofa!:smileytongue:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14