Join now - be part of our community!

BDV - N790W connecting to tv

profile.country.en_GB.title
paulohiggs
Visitor

BDV - N790W connecting to tv

hi there - i am having difficulty connecting my sky + box to the home theatre system in order to watch sky tv through the sound system. the sky + box has a scart connection and so i bought a digital optical cable to connect the sky + box to the main unit of the sony system......the tv itself is also connected to the sony system by hdmi as shown in the quick start instructions. when i select the 'tv' input on the menu with the sony remote i'm getting nothing. all other inputs like thex box and i pod and disc player work fine.

can any one help please ?....i'm not that convinced about the optical cable as it feels a little wobbly when inserted but have defo bought the right one and removed the plastic caps....help !!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Bravia55HX

Hi,

well lets see if we can untangle what you have,

firstly of coarse nothing happens when you select tv input, theres no aerial connected is there so forget that one.

the optical cable is for connection to the tv.

what would have simplified things here would have been an optical input from say an external soarce like how you connected it at the moment, the scart from the sky box should be connected to the tv, the input you want here is "scart" not "tv". the optical if connected correctly will be tight, did you push them in till they "clicked" in place?.

i dont know at this point if you will get sound from the sky in this way but if you do you will need to mute the tv speakers or you will get an echo.

paulohiggs
Visitor

i have got the optical cable in securely now....have tried connecting it from my home cinema system to both the sky box and the tv and i still can't get surround sound when watching tv programmes on sky.

the sky box itself is connected by scart to the tv as you say.

Bravia55HX

Hi again, its as i suspected the BDV optical connection does not output Audio but will input from tv, which in my book a little odd, the only thing you can try is connect optical from tv to BDV then press options on tv remote go to speakers then change tv speakers to Audio system, at this point i have no idea if it will work.