Join now - be part of our community!

Can I stream Blu-Ray to PC(Vaio) from Blu-Ray Player?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
iagibso49

Can I stream Blu-Ray to PC(Vaio) from Blu-Ray Player?

Can I stream a Blu-ray via WiFi from my player to my PC? I have everything on my Wireless N network.

Message was edited by: iagibso49

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

No, even if the DRM permitted it, the data throughput would likely cripple your network.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Catmambo
Contributor

No, even if the DRM permitted it, the data throughput would likely cripple your network.

Thanks

iagibso49

Why would it cripple my data? I can stream other HD stuff over WiFi, such as that held on my computer. The whole point of Wireless-n is to stream HD.

What's the point of having a DNLA enabled Blu-Ray then?

Catmambo
Contributor

Blu-ray doesn't have as much compression so you are looking at much higher bitrates of up to 40mb/s rather that 3.5mb/s used by services like BBC iplayer or higher for HD video files. Its a moot point in any case as like I mentioned the DRM doesn't allow it anyway.

The idea of DLNA on Blu-ray is to allow you to stream content the other way from your PC to your TV/Blu-ray player as most people prefer to watch content whilst relaxing onthe sofa rather than leant forward on a desk on a laptop or desktop.

iagibso49

Yes but the principle is no different to a slingbox so I don't see why DRM should be an issue.

Catmambo
Contributor

Whilist the theory is similar, the reality of Hollywood's approach to content protection and DRM is fundamentally different.

iagibso49

So how is recording a Hollywood film and streaming it with Slingbox any different to streaming to my PC in my bedroom from my blu-ray player?