Join now - be part of our community!

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mudkipper
Visitor

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

I have a BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and have updated the firmware to M03.R.694 but no sign of the BBC iPlayer. The unit was purchased from Pixmania selling into the UK market but it is a French unit. Could this be the problem? I would have thought that iplayer restrictions were based on ip address and as far as I can see the M03.R.694 firmware downloads from the UK and French service sites are identical.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what can be done?

Tags (2)
81 REPLIES 81
egg1973
Visitor

I have the same problem.  My machine was delivered yesterday from Play.com,

Instaed of iPlayer I have a couple of what looks like german catch up channels.

Can the issue be resolved or should I return the machine?

Catmambo
Contributor

Can you confirm the names of the channels as the UK devices feature Deutshe Welle and Tageshau, but they should both be at the very bottom of the list. iPlayer and Qriocity should be at the top.

Can you confirm you have the latest firmware and have re-freshed the content from the setup menu?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Deutshe Welle and Tageshau are at the bottom of my list with Qriocity at the top. I have the latest firmware.

Can you advise - for the avoidance of doubt - how to "re-freshed the content"

thanks

Purchased from play.com

MO3.R.695

mudkipper
Visitor

Both Sony and Pixmania have now confirmed that iPlayer can't be used on this unit.

From Sony:

"In response to your enquiry, I can confirm that your Blu-ray will not be  able to receive BBC iPlayer in the United Kingdom due to it being  manufactured in France. This is because the software within the unit  cannot recognise BBC iPlayer in the United Kingdom."

From Pixmania:

"I have been reviewing your file and I am sorry that you are not satisfied with your product.

I  would like to inform you that I have contacted our purchasing  department and they have informed me that unfortunately the BBC iPlayer  is not compatible with this product.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

I think my IP address is UK as I can see iPlayer on my Humax satellite box ok. Since I've had the Blu-Ray player for 2 months, don't have the box and can ger iPlayer on the other box anyway I'm not sure whether to go through the hassle of returning it now. I guess I might miss out on other future services though.

Catmambo
Contributor

Just to be clear, its not becase the unit was manufactured in France, its simply because the UK software build is different to the continenal version to enable iPlayer. (iPlayer utilises a closed web browser in order to deliver iPlayer Bigscreen)

To do a system reset - go to settings on the Xross Media Bar and then down to the bottom option which should be resetting. Once in that menu, the bottom option is all settings. That should clear everything. Disconnect the device from the network before hand in case it decides to cache any of the icons also.

Indeed there may well be future services that utilise the browser so if you do have an option to switch it for a UK spec model then do. Don't forget iPlayer on the Blu-ray also offers HD service as well which not many other devices do yet - (including PS3!!)

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

How does one determine what country it was manufactured in - my box says Malaysia

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

But how is a consumer to evaluate this significant attribute?

Catmambo
Contributor

It really isn't significant. The issue is only likely to impact grey market imports. If this affects your unit then best contact your retailer directly and get it exchanged either via them or another retailer for a UK spec model.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

So this limitation is a function of software loaded at the factory by Sony.

Clearly Sony must have some sort of arrangement with the retailer regarding where their products are sold - by definition the consumer, i.e. me. is not party to that. As it is the consumer who is directly effected by this arrangement, I woukld like to propose a way of progressing from the current situation.

Would you therefore consider making available a software upgrade - tied to the serial number of my player - which would alter the software loaded in the factory to enable iPlayer in the UK?

Catmambo
Contributor

As mentioned - If you are having problems getting iPlayer and you have run through all troubleshooting steps, then best contact your retailer directly and  get it exchanged either via them or another retailer for a UK spec  model. Any Sony centre should be able to update your device and confirm iPlayer is working before you leave the store.