Join now - be part of our community!

DN1040 -how to adapt FM to coax?

SOLVED
noruppar4
New

DN1040 -how to adapt FM to coax?

The STR-DN1040 appears to have a non standard aerial connection i.e. not coaxial. Anyone know how to adapt the supplied adaptor (next to useless) so that it can use coax. Problem is that it seems to be Sonys proprietary single wire connection that needs to adapt to the 'two' wire connection of coaxial. I've tried stripping the end of the supplied wire and connecting it to my coax supply (centre feed only) but this doesn't help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

How-to Convert the FM Aerial to Coaxial Connection

Step 1: Tools Required

Pic1.JPG

• Satellie Aerial Cable
  • Needle Nose Pliers
  • Scissors (or wire-cutters/strippers)
  • Original Sony FM Connector (opened up - wire removed)
  • F-Type to Coaxial Adapter
  • Electrical Tape

Step 2:

Pic2.JPG

• Cut connector off Satellite Cable

Step 3:

:Pic3.JPG

• Remove with wire strippers (or in my case scissors) the outer plastic casing, wire mesh shielding, alfoil shielding, plastic inner core - leaving only the copper inner core.

Step 4:

Pic4.JPG

• Patience is required on this, wrap copper core through and around the "forks" in original connector

Step 5

Pic5.JPG

• Close casing, note the exposed copper core - try and be neater than this than what I was.

Step 6:

Pic6.JPG

• I wrapped some electrical tape around the copper core, covering it fully

Step 7:

Pic7.JPG

• Attach F-Type to Coaxial Connector.

Finished Product:

Pic8.JPG

Conclusion:

Once done, connect it to the AV Receiver and then the FM/DAB coaxial socket on your wall.  This worked for me.  However I will say that this is not supported by Sony, and dont hold me responsible...... Therefore do at your own risk.

Im also sure that there are many other ways that you can achieve the same results.

Good Luck and have fun :four_leaf_clover:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

That is a very interesting question indeed.  Im wondering if you can adapt the connector itself. 

I think this is the FM aerial you are referring to:

DSCN0142.JPG

However, the molded plastic is not fully molded on mine (DH-820), therefore a small screwdriver (or sharp knife) I could open it:

DSCN0145.JPG

If you insert the core of the coax into the "forks", and ensure that the metal outer shielding is not touching - could this be a solution???

PS, I do not know if it will work, so floating an idea. And am unsure on the 2-wire you are referring to.

Cheers

noruppar4
New

Thanks for the suggestion. My reference to 'two' wires was confused I think as I was assuming there is a conductive relationship between the inner core of coax and it's outer braided shielding because both appear to make metal to metal contact with the an amps normal corresponding coax connection. But having looked at this again, I can see that the outer braided shielding is just that i.e. only acts to shield the inner core signal.

Which suggests your solution could be the equivalent of my already failed solution but that my solution failed because I am not in fact getting a coax signal for some reason. I'll update again once I've worked out why.

But thanks again for the suggestion which could be more useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just to let you know - I have successfully converted the connection to coax (tested and works)  Ill explain more tomorrow as im rather tired.  But I used a satellite cable (then screwed on an F-Type to Coax adapter) which then connects into my FM/DAB socket on the wall.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

How-to Convert the FM Aerial to Coaxial Connection

Step 1: Tools Required

Pic1.JPG

• Satellie Aerial Cable
  • Needle Nose Pliers
  • Scissors (or wire-cutters/strippers)
  • Original Sony FM Connector (opened up - wire removed)
  • F-Type to Coaxial Adapter
  • Electrical Tape

Step 2:

Pic2.JPG

• Cut connector off Satellite Cable

Step 3:

:Pic3.JPG

• Remove with wire strippers (or in my case scissors) the outer plastic casing, wire mesh shielding, alfoil shielding, plastic inner core - leaving only the copper inner core.

Step 4:

Pic4.JPG

• Patience is required on this, wrap copper core through and around the "forks" in original connector

Step 5

Pic5.JPG

• Close casing, note the exposed copper core - try and be neater than this than what I was.

Step 6:

Pic6.JPG

• I wrapped some electrical tape around the copper core, covering it fully

Step 7:

Pic7.JPG

• Attach F-Type to Coaxial Connector.

Finished Product:

Pic8.JPG

Conclusion:

Once done, connect it to the AV Receiver and then the FM/DAB coaxial socket on your wall.  This worked for me.  However I will say that this is not supported by Sony, and dont hold me responsible...... Therefore do at your own risk.

Im also sure that there are many other ways that you can achieve the same results.

Good Luck and have fun :four_leaf_clover:

noruppar4
New

Great solution. Will give this a try once I've swapped out my apparently failed UHF/VHF distribution amp in the loft!

Thanks again.
clive_mountney
Explorer

Thank for that, the connector on the back of my unit is a tiny plastic totally none standard socket, so the only answer is going to be to mount a socket onto the rear of the cabinet, when I have done it, assuming it works, I will post the photos on here! Fingers tightly crossed here!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Anonymous

Great tutorial chap! Did you use a Sony camera?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MK_Slinky - No, a Nikkon Coolpix camera - a red one :grin:      (I think)