Join now - be part of our community!

Help please with DVD Recorder RDR-DC100 not recognising discs !

profile.country.GB.title
Barrykeith
Explorer

Help please with DVD Recorder RDR-DC100 not recognising discs !

Hello could anyone help please. I have 2 DVD recorders RDR -DC 100 one of which I have had from new and the other I have just bought still boxed from new. Both are functioning normally in most areas but neither recognise blank dvds which I am attempting to use to record on. I am using the type recommended in the handbook. Both recorders go through the process of loading and this appears on the tv screen. Both make intermittent noises in the loading area but eventually state “no disc”. It seems strange both machines are acting identically. Could anyone suggest a solution. Many thanks.Barry

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

The most reliable blank media I have used is Verbatim brand.

You need to look at what is recommended for your machine as regards - or + type (DVD-RW or DVD+RW). These should be available from many sources but check out CPC (Part of Farnell Group). All the different types in all the different pack sizes.

DVDs - Blank, DVD-R, DVD-RW & More | CPC (farnell.com)

Just an example of a few:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 180946.png

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Barrykeith 

Will they play a commercial CD?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Barrykeith
Explorer

Thanks for your message. Neither machine will load and play a commercial CD.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Is 'CD' a valid format those recorders? Check the user manual and see if they are listed as a valid format. If they are and it will not play them then there is a problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mooly01 @Barrykeith 

I did, before asking.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4261/42614771M.pdf#page61

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

That is conclusive then.

I'm going to say then that there is nothing lost in giving the lens a clean. You have two non functional machines, I don't think there is anything to lose really although I fully appreciate that may be outside your comfort zone.

Typically it would involve removal of the top cover and then a 'cover' that is part of the DVD drive. If you do look then be sure to disconnect from the mains first.

profile.country.GB.title
Barrykeith
Explorer

Hello and thank you for your latest post. I have had a look and it appears that 5 screws hold on the outer cover. I may take this off,after of course unplugging from the mains,from the machine which I have had for some time. I’m not sure the new machine which has only just been taken out of the box is likely to require the optical eye cleaning. Thank you for your help to date. kind regards, Barry

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It is certainly odd to have both seemingly the same and yet if both refuse to play a known good commercially available CD (so not a CDR or CDRW recorded elsewhere) then you have to just take each one as being faulty.

Is the 'new' machine NOS (new old stock) and genuinely unused?

If the tray is clean and dust free when you eject it then that suggests that the lens should be essentially clean as well. One exception to that could be if any 'bloom' or film has developed on the lens but that seems a bit tenuous tbh.

profile.country.GB.title
Barrykeith
Explorer

Hello and thanks for the latest post. The “new” machine was new old stock.it was still boxed with all cables and remote still wrapped. The trays do not show any particular signs of dust.

I have not yet decided to dismantle either machine to see if cleaning us required. The main reason we have these machines is to record TV programmes for later viewing but not necessarily to record to DVD.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

OK, that's fair enough. It really is very much a mystery at this point and a search of possible issues doesn't turn much up... i.e. this doesn't seem to crop up as a common issue.