Join now - be part of our community!

How do I connect my Sky+ to my Sony home cinema system?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jeffc197
Visitor

How do I connect my Sky+ to my Sony home cinema system?

Just bought a Sony BDV EF200 Home 3D Blu Ray 2.1 Home cinema system. I chose it because it had 2 HDMI Inputs so I thought I would be able to connect my Sky+ box to it to enjoy the sound system when watching Sky. Unfortunately, the Sky+ box does not appear to have a HDMI port. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can connect the Sky+ to the Sony Home Cinema system? I'm assuming that if there is a way of doing this, the sound will then be carried using the HDMI out connection from the Sony to my Panasonic TV. Help, please!!!  :thinking:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jajacks4513
Visitor

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but just in case. 

I bought a BDV EF200 today - you need to note that the Blu Ray now controls the HDMI - I made the same mistake.  Therefore the HDMI from the Sky+ box goes in to the HDMI1 socket on the Blu Ray and the HDMI out on the blu ray goes in to the TV.  You use the function button on the BDV-EF200 to control the input source.  It also means that to view anything on the Sky+ box you also have to have the BDV-EF200 switched on as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jajacks4513
Visitor

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but just in case. 

I bought a BDV EF200 today - you need to note that the Blu Ray now controls the HDMI - I made the same mistake.  Therefore the HDMI from the Sky+ box goes in to the HDMI1 socket on the Blu Ray and the HDMI out on the blu ray goes in to the TV.  You use the function button on the BDV-EF200 to control the input source.  It also means that to view anything on the Sky+ box you also have to have the BDV-EF200 switched on as well.

jeffc197
Visitor

Thanks for taking the time to help. My problem was that a Sky+ does not have a HDMI port (unlike the Sky+ HD which does). However. I have managed to find the solutionr - both the Sky+ and the Blu Ray player have a digital/audio connection. Bought a lead on Amazon for £6 connected up both ends and, hey presto, perfect home cinema sound when watching Sky. In fact, my Sky remote automatically switches the home cinema system on and off when controlling the TV. I was a bit worried about synchronisation as my video link from the box to TV is still carried by my SCART lead whilst the sound was transmitted by the HDMI via the digital/audio link - I needn't have worried as everything works perfectly. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer a solution but, as you say, after a few days of trial and error, I did manage to figure it out. Incidentally, I tried to get assistance from "experts" in Currys and Comet - but they were no help at all!!!

Teejers
Explorer

I have a similiar question..,.

I have the 7.1 Sony STRDH820 amp and was looking at buying the BDV-EF200 but concerned re compatibility of the full 7.1 audio thru the STRDH820 amp as I will not be using the speaker outputs on the BDVEF200 as the DH820 has 7.1 speaker outputs, so in effect I will only be connecting the device to the amp with HDMI.

Can anyone advise ??