Join now - be part of our community!

How to stream from BDP-S370 to remote KDL-22EX320

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
markj1234
Explorer

How to stream from BDP-S370 to remote KDL-22EX320

I have a BDP-S370 / KV-40EX731 / STR DH810 in the living room. Both TV and BluRay are networked via HomePlug to my router/internet. This all works fine.

My wife now wants a TV in another room. She wants a TV/DVD combo. I would prefer to just stream from BDP-S370 >>>> KDL-22EX320. I just want to be sure this will work before I purchase the KDL-22EX320 and an additional HomePlug.

I think this should just work via DNLA.

Tks,

Mark J

PS. I'm aware the KDL-22EX320 won't do justice to the BDP-S370 (HD) content. But that is another story...

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

As I mentioned, I don't think you can stream physical media over DLNA. You have three practical choices really and maybe someone else will step in with another.

• Get a second DVD player for the bedroom
  • Digitise your movies and then you can stream them to all devices over your house via DLNA
  • Get a video sender like this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-5.8ghz-video-sender-264419 ( not a personal recommendation, but this kind of technology..)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

No DLNA doesn't work like this - your devices are DLNA receivers, not servers I'm afraid. So your proposed setup won't stream a disc from the player to the TV over DLNA - infact you can't stream any physical media via DLNA AFAIK, has to be a digital file..

Thanks

markj1234
Explorer

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

I'm glad I asked! Why a BluRay Player is a DLNA Rxer I'll never know. Surely it should act as a server to "serve" content. Anyway I won't argue the toss if that is how it is.

How would you suggest I achieve my aim? Is it possible between these two devices at all?

I less elegant (for me ) solution would be to use the DVD drive in my Win 7 PC. I don't think the TV will see the drive. Just files as you say. Will this "Serviio" application make the PC drive accessible I wonder. Not my preferred solution. Open to other ideas?

Mark J

markj1234
Explorer

A quick read of the Serviio website doesn't fill me with joy as to my problem. Not sure it will see my DVD in order to stream from there either.

Hmmmmm.

mark

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

As I mentioned, I don't think you can stream physical media over DLNA. You have three practical choices really and maybe someone else will step in with another.

• Get a second DVD player for the bedroom
  • Digitise your movies and then you can stream them to all devices over your house via DLNA
  • Get a video sender like this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-5.8ghz-video-sender-264419 ( not a personal recommendation, but this kind of technology..)

Hope this helps

markj1234
Explorer

OK.

Your first suggestion is where I statered this journey. But I don't want a seperate box. So a Combi TV/DVD will be required, which I don't believe Sony do. It will be a Toshiba or the like sadly.

The second is not feasible. As my wife just want to stick a disc in and watch. (I know it won't be an issue in years to come when DVD's join the dodo's :slight_smile:

Likewise the third involves more hardware and I may as well just buy a DVD for upstairs or go the combi route.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I find it amazing that such a capability does not exist when a network exists which is already transporting this content. All it nees is some capability in the boxes which are clearly being hobbled for some reason.

Thanks,

Mark J