Join now - be part of our community!

HXD870 not showing digital channels

SOLVED
rassilon

HXD870 not showing digital channels

I've got two HXD870 recorders, one upstairs and one in the living room. Had them for a few years with no trouble.

They were working fine this morning (19th July 2013) and then this afternoon whilst watching a DVD on the living room player, the screen went black but the sound carried on. I stopped the playback and then resumed it and it seemed ok.

This evening I tried to watch tv though it and all channels are black. The EPG guide will flash up for a second or two and then the screen will go black. It looks like some update has broken the recorders. The EPG shows several different colours (green etc and graphics) whereas it was mostly blue and while previously.

The upstairs recorder has the same problems. They are on different ariels. They both will playback recorded programs ok or DVDs. It tired doing a rescan and it found all the usual channels ok. The firmware was 1.65. I've updated it to 1.70 and did Easy Setup again including another channel scan but that hasn't fixed the problem,

I think its a software update problem because both recorders have stopped working at the same time.

33 REPLIES 33
Egometto
Explorer

I don't think the UPDATE shown on the display has anything to do with the present problem.  My box shows it every morning about 10 a.m. for about 20 minutes.  I think it is the clock and other things being regulated.  Everything seems to work (not today, of course!) during that time, except that you can't see the time on the display.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone at Sony answered our emails?

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

I have already posted about this under another topic heading. I tried to email Sony but it says that it is closed for maintenance. Strange. I even rang my local Sony shop who don't know anything about this problem which seems to have affected everyone in the UK.

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

smjalala
Explorer

Just found a solution to this on another post, if you select France instead of UK when retuning the digital chanels everything seems to work ok. Alright as a quick fix until sony get there act together

smjalala
Explorer

Solution above not as good as I first thought EPG does not work program times shown wrong on now &next
topcattim
Explorer

Thanks smjalala that solution works for me. As you say, I can't get the EPG working, but it has now found the channels again, and I can manually set the recorder to record on-the-go as well as to record programmes coming up. Not as neat as working from the EPG, but at least I have the functions back.

Time now for Sony to sort out the bigger problem...

profile.country.GB.title
liketv
Benjibobs
Explorer

My Sony HXD995 worked fine until yesterday when I could see or hear any digital stations, nor bring up the EPG. I can watch what is already recorded with no problems, not sure what has happened. All connections are plugged in and functioning correctly. I have re-scanned the channels and the result is that it finds the stations but again will not show any pictures or sound, I have also rebooted it and left it de-powered overnight but no difference.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Bottesford
Explorer

I have the same problem. Executed a reset of the recorder after it appeared stuck displaying 'up date' . Now shows the guide but on selecting a channel the tv screen is blank .