Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

profile.country.en_GB.title
twofeet
Visitor

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

My Iplayer and lovefilm freezes after about 15 minutes when streaming on the blu-ray player.  Using a wireless connection, tried a wired connection and had the same problem.  My ISP is Talktalk, download speed average > 10 Megs.  My router is Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem.  Lovefilm or Iplayer works fine wireless on a laptop and PC.  I have tried resetting the bluray player and have latest updates for blu-ray player.  Any ideas?

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Full name removed.

Jb777
29 REPLIES 29
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Stange as no known issues with the services or product. Lovefilm is only SD and only really needs 1.5mbps to run so if your real world connection is an actual 10mbps something else would appear to be either throttling or hoovering up your bandwidth. Is it possible to test it on another Internet connection such as a friends or something? My gut instinct says its local network /router issues based on previous examples of this popping up every now and then.

Thanks

twofeet
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tried my neighbour's wireless router (BT) and it worked fine for 30 minutes.  I have checked all my router settings with the Talktalk ones available online.  Are there any other options on my router I should be checking?

Thanks

Jb777
Catmambo
Contributor

Don't know I'm afraid. All I can suggest is making sure the device is up-to date. Maybe flag it with the ISP and get a replacement router sent out by them?

Might be worth considering looking at alternative ISPs.. :wink: Lot of good deals out there for switching. Can highly recommend either Virgin Media or O2.

Thanks

twofeet
Visitor

Does the Sony internet service look at different servers from a PC?  i.e.  If I am watching iplayer on my Blu-ray player is it connecting to a different site when compared with my PC.  Maybe thinking talktalk don't prioritise the sony service or realise its video streaming.  I don't understand why it works on the PC and not on the Blu-ray player.  I can't change my ISP until next year but I can complain!

Jb777
Panadolque
Explorer

I have the same problem with an S480 Blu ray player and the problem as been going on for sometime. I have just posted on the Talktalk support forum about this problem. My research as been that it is either Talktalk or Sony that are the problem but after visiting here I am convinced that it is a Talktalk problem.

Talktalk say that they prioritise video but it is not evident when using a Sony device to access streaming video. Hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes basically ISP's all handle it differently. Last year there were some issues with O2 and our blu ray players, which turned out to be an issue on O2 side. From experience, these things are almost always ISP related.

Bear in mind the BBC have multiple versions of iplayer (e.g v2,v3, mheg, iOS etc) and within that we have different yearly profiles for TV and Blu ray players, which are both certified and signed off by the BBC prior to launch on the devices. So these things are tested heavily before we release them (unlike some of our Korean friends :wink: )

Maybe have talk talk reset your connection from their side and see if that helps?

twofeet
Visitor

Thanks I have posted on the talktalk forum too, looks like a talktalk problem as the Blu ray player works fine on BT broadband.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=862983#post862983

Jb777
Catmambo
Contributor

Ah good - pleased you have at least managed to isolate the problem, hopefully TalkTalk can investigate further.

Panadolque
Explorer

The ball is now rolling at Talktalk as they are asking for the device models that have problems.