Join now - be part of our community!

Old(er) projector - can I connect to Blu Ray?

SOLVED
psc333
New

Old(er) projector - can I connect to Blu Ray?

I have a Sony vpl-hs1 projector, which has been in a box for a few years - good quality in it's time & it hasn't been used extensively; I am therefore loathe to throw it out.  However I am not sure if it is either possible or even worth my while to now connect it to a Blu Ray player....?

The best connection "in" on the vpl-hs1 seems to be the s-video; however is it advisale (or even possible) to connect to this from an "out" connection on a Blu Ray player / home cinema system i.e. from a HDMI or other connection?  Is there a good HDMI (or other) to s-video lead I could use?

I'd appreciate any advice....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The thing is:

HDMI = Digital

S Video = Analog

They are both incompatible technologies on their own - so there are no simple leads on the market.  However there are convertision boxes out there that do this. 

Search Amazon for "HDMI to S Video" and it will come up with a few matches such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Output-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B005CAMFDI/

The cheapest solution is to simply use a DVD player - as the bluray will be down-converted anyhow - loosing any benefits of bluray.

As always, read up on the products before purchasing to ensure that it meets your requirements (also read the reviews from others, as they help)

Cheers

EDIT : PS - Projector is 12 years old I think, in terms of technology its old (without the 'er)  :grin:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The thing is:

HDMI = Digital

S Video = Analog

They are both incompatible technologies on their own - so there are no simple leads on the market.  However there are convertision boxes out there that do this. 

Search Amazon for "HDMI to S Video" and it will come up with a few matches such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Output-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B005CAMFDI/

The cheapest solution is to simply use a DVD player - as the bluray will be down-converted anyhow - loosing any benefits of bluray.

As always, read up on the products before purchasing to ensure that it meets your requirements (also read the reviews from others, as they help)

Cheers

EDIT : PS - Projector is 12 years old I think, in terms of technology its old (without the 'er)  :grin:

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

A PC typically also have both a DVD and a S-video output. With a decent player software that would also work just fine + audio through PC speakers or external attach speakers.