Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 firmware update stuck: what to do???

niicko

RDR-HXD870 firmware update stuck: what to do???

Hi

I also have the 'update sticking', 'EPG knackered' and 'no live output' problems but, after managing to reset etc. and select line input to stop the update sticking each time, I tried a maybe-long-overdue firmware update to 1.70, to see if that would cure the problem.

I followed Sony's instructions to the letter but, unfortunately, after stage 1 (LOAD > DISC-DWLD) took a couple of minutes or less, and DOWNLOAD-2, DOWNLOAD-3 and DOWNLOAD-4 took not much longer, I still have DOWNLOAD-5 displayed and an open disc-drawer (and still powered on) after almost an hour!

Trouble is, Sony don't seem to give contingency-instructions unless an error is displayed - so whatever do I do now?  I don't want to take the wrong action and completely ruin the recorder (if indeed the process hasn't already done so).

Please can anybody in-the-know shed some light on this and tell me what I can do to save the unit?

48 REPLIES 48
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Also worth mentioning (as this was an old thread) that there has recently been a bug with the coding of the Freeview EPG that was only resolved a few days ago. 

If your recorder had been fine up until a week ago then more than likely it was this latest issue causing a problem.

There are two threads in the index currently just below this so have a read at the last posts in those.

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainAmerica
Explorer

Hi

My transmitter is winter hill -group A i think.

I have had my problem for many months before the recent bug. My aerial is on a communal system

Thanks for your help

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Winter Hill is Group A now after moving from group C/D. CH24 is also Group A so you have a problem. I wonder how Sony conclude that something on CH24 is an issue.

Looking back on the thread I and see yours is not an  HXD-870 so there may be some differences in the menus but I would recommend you look at the 'signal strength' option and manually enter CH24 and see if any signal shows up. It should NOT for Winter Hill. You should see signal on channels 29, 31, 32, 34, 37 and 40. Chanel 37 may be at a lower level. 

On the 870 you:

1/ Press System Menu

2/ Initial Setup

3/ Digital Tuner

4/ Select 'Signal Strength'

5/ Use the left/right keys to set Ch 24 and see what the signal level is.

6/ You should see signal on all the numbers I listed above and no others.

7/ Exit by pressing System Menu.  

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainAmerica
Explorer

Hi there

I actually get great signal strength 100% on Ch 24 ( That's 80s TV Channel).

I also pick up channel 27, good signal strength 94% (great TV +1) not on your list.

29,31,32,34,37 all 100% signal strength

It's channel 40 the only channel where I get zero % no signal strength or signal quality 

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainAmerica
Explorer

Hi

I also pick up channel 21 (liverpool TV )93 % signal strength 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Channels 21, 24 and 27 are very low power local relays. You can see the difference in transmitted power here, between 1 and 3 kW vs 100kW for the main multiplexes.

Did you ever try the attenuators ? Given that the local channels are so far down in power I would have thought you could kill the signal for those with a simple attenuator while leaving the main ones still at a good level. Even if only as a test to see if what Sony say works.

You will find the Sony works fine even down to low signal levels and so attenuating to bring the main ones down to say 70% should totally remove the others. An 18db attenuator will drop the level (the signal voltage) by 87.5% and a 24db by 94%

Attenuators can be stacked and the values simply add. So a 15db and 6db give 21db overall. I can't really think of anything else easy to try.

(Those are massively high attenuation levels but even my loft aerial will stand 18db attenuation)    

Screenshot 2023-06-28 181119.png 

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainAmerica
Explorer

Hi

I never tried the attenuator -so which one should I try say 6db?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I think you will need way more than 6db tbh. 6db would only half the signal level. Remember they can stacked so a 6 and 12db also makes an 18db equivalent. Given your 94% and 100% levels for all channels I'd bet you need at least 18db, maybe more. 

Another thought... too much signal generally can cause big problems with some equipment and it may be that more modest attenuation helps. I'm struggling to see what/why Sony think this one channel is causing problem tbh.

You can only try them.  

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You might find this interesting (and earlier posts)

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill#b1045674 

Post beginning:

Just come across your website (30-06-2023) after many unresolved Sony RDR HXD-870 auto update problems and can hopefully provide a lot of info to shed light on my 'still not fully resolved' problem.

I am in the SK22 postcode area and can see the Winter Hill to the NW which is approx 35 miles distant. Reception from my roof aerial has been and still is very good.

I have 3 of the extremely useful Sony RDR HXD-870 recorders that are more useful than Sony's newer recorders. So they are important despite being old. THE PROBLEM is that they