Join now - be part of our community!

RDR HXD870 stuck in update mode

profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

RDR HXD870 stuck in update mode

My HXD870 gets stuck in update mode. I’ve tried the solutions from five years ago, which worked for me then, but this time I can’t access any menus or anything I’ve recorded or play a DVD. Mechanically the machine seems fine. Anyone else getting the same issue?

Tags (3)
30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor
profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

Thanks Mooly01 I hadn’t found that thread. So far I’ve managed to briefly break out of “update” but cannot get to any menu (no error, player just ignores all button presses on remote or machine) then a few seconds of broadcast before a green screen of death. I will leave overnight then try different combinations and cross my fingers!

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Try holding the power button on the unit down to break the update cycle. It could take several seconds to responds and shutdown. 

When the machine powers down, wait only a couple of seconds and then see if it will power on again. Then go for the full reset as described in the other thread. 

profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

I seem to have broken out of the update cycle by holding power down until it goes off, then doing the stop / power reset combination a few times.

Now the player won’t turn off. When I first switch it on I get about 15 seconds of normal broadcast of whichever channel it’s set to, then the picture freezes, the dialogue carries on for about another 5 seconds, then a green screen of death. Whilst this is going on on the TV, the display on the player shows the red “timer set” symbol, which then vanishes for about 30 seconds then reappears.

I’m going to try leaving it completely disconnected from power and aerial overnight, then plug it all back in and cross my fingers.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Lets hope so although this green screen of death sounds a bit worrying.

Also, I would have a look at the timer settings page (seeing as you mention the timer symbol showing) and just see if anything is there.   

profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

I fear it is a deceased recorder. It isn’t stuck in update any more, but it won’t turn off - holding the power button down for about 5 seconds turns it off briefly but it immediately turns itself back on again. I cannot get to any menu - timer, system menu, title list, guide or change between DVD / HDD, change the channel. Can’t open the DVD tray (luckily no DVD in there). It doesn’t seem to be a problem with the remote, which has a few buttons for the TV on it (TV is also Sony) and they work fine. 

Many thanks for your help, I do at least feel I’ve tried everything.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

That doesn't sound good tbh. I'll have a think though and see if anything else comes to mind.

(Having major issues accessing the forums so not sure if this will appear or not as I'm posting this via email)
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I haven;t really been able to come up with anything that would be easy to try. The one thing I would hold on to is the fact it origianlly showed update, and so that suggests a 'stuck' (for want of a better word) logic issue.

It might be worth disconnecting the mains for a longer period if you can because there is a backup supply in these machines. 

Also, you mention getting a few seconds of normal video before it locks up. That is definitely wrong if a full reset has been applied because all the channels are cleared. A full reset should be taking this to 'out of the box' state where upon powering up you are greated with a 'Please wait a moment' message and then the initial set up wizard starts.

If you can get it to power up for those few seconds I would try the reset again. Do this while its on, its no use once it shuts down.

1/ Press and hold the stop button on the front.

2/ Press the power button while keeping the stop key pressed.

The machine should shut down. When you then press the standby button to power up you should be greeted by the set up screen. 

profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

Thanks for all your time trying to help. Doing the reset as you describe doesn’t seem to elicit any response from the machine. I’m away for a couple of days now. If it hasn’t magically fixed I will try leaving it off for 48 hours (suggested in one of the threads you linked me too) and try the reset again.

Sent from my iPhone