Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

profile.country.GB.title
brian_mk

RDR-HXD890 - Freeview EPG Not working

My RDR-HXD890 has been stuck displaying 'UPDATING' for at least 2 days.

All front panel buttons & remote have no effect.

After Power cycling, the machine returned to the same state.

After searching Internet forums, I found many posts from people with the same issue. Most were dated around 2019.

I tried most of the suggestions:-

A Soft Reset got the machine out of update mode but EPG no longer works and, following auto-tuning, all BBC channels are missing. All other Freeview channels were found.

A Factory Reset did not fix the problem.

The machine displays Software Version 115. I tried to initiate a manual firmware update but no updates were found.

Has there been a recent change with Freeview EPG such that it is no longer compatible with this machine?

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

I'll try that again. It didn't work before the 2pm update.Sent from my Galaxy
profile.country.GB.title
PatJW1
Explorer

Same here. Tried EPG and just went blank after a couple of seconds. Not tried retune yet.Sent from my Galaxy
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I not heard of any ongoing issues since the issue was resolved around 3.5 weeks ago.

profile.country.GB.title
sheneker
Explorer

I posted the following about 3 weeks ago:

RDR-HXD870 and 890 Ranges Stuck in Update and Not Working

This is caused by a defective Freeview channel update and is NOT your equipment being faulty.

This happened a few years ago, but more recently in June 2023 and again after the 23/8/2023 Freeview channel update, just before the August Bank Holiday.

After the June event, I phoned Freeview, who admitted there had been a problem with their update, affecting the domestic equipment of many users, including Sony users.

After the 23/8/2023 update, I phoned them again and they admitted that this occasion had been even worse, affecting even more manufacturers' kit and therefore many more users than just Sony.  That took the whole August Bank Holiday weekend for Freeview to put right.

I asked them what Quality Standards they used and what was the back-out procedure, should anything go wrong just before a Bank Holiday, with lots of sporting events, etc. to watch on TV.  They haven't answered that yet.

On Tuesday (after the Bank Holiday) I phoned Ofcom, who didn't want to know about it - seemingly too much bother, saying that if I had been calling about a TV programme's content, they might have been interested, but this sort of thing isn't their responsibility. 

I asked: "So you're not interested in a Freeview national TV channel update clobbering many people's TV equipment, so they can't watch TV over the Bank Holiday weekend"?  "No, not our responsibility".

They told me to contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline, which I did.

Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline were just as unhelpful.  The young lady didn't appear to have a clue, didn't want to know, as Freeview is a free service, so nothing to do with them.

They suggested I contact the TV Licencing Authority !!

Freeview didn't make any announcement that they had messed-up their channel update, so their customers shouldn't worry that their home equipment was broken.  Some people may have gone out and bought new, in the belief that their home entertainment kit had gone 'POP'.

At the very least, most users affected are likely to have wasted a lot of time, wondering what was the matter and fruitlessly trying to retune their equipment.

Apparently there are at least 4 companies that may be involved (but I'm not sure of their relationship):

- Freeview

- DTT Multiplex Operators Ltd

- Everyone TV

- DTV Services Ltd

Does anyone know to whom Freeview is accountable?   They cannot keep broadcasting defective channel updates, which clobber people's TV systems.