Join now - be part of our community!

Set-up question for legacy equipment

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
garyphotter
Explorer

Set-up question for legacy equipment

I have purchased a 2017 Sony Bravia KDL40WE663 to replace a 2008 Sony TV. I had this connected to a Sony DAV-IS50 home theatre system, also of 2008 vintage. Although I can view DVDs through the new TV with the HDMI connection it seems the new TV does not have the requiste connections to connect to the speakers for surround sound or to listen the FM radio function.

Can anyone advise how to restore full functionality between the new and old equipment? Is there an adaptor available that will bridge the connectivity gap?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Community.

The AV system doesn't support ARC so it’s only a one way direction. You can try connecting the optical out of the TV to the optical in on the AV system but there's no guarantee everything will play as it wont support modern audio codecs.

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Community.

The AV system doesn't support ARC so it’s only a one way direction. You can try connecting the optical out of the TV to the optical in on the AV system but there's no guarantee everything will play as it wont support modern audio codecs.

Thanks,

Drew

profile.country.GB.title
garyphotter
Explorer

Thank you. I'm happy to say I have worked out how to get the surround sound speakers working for watching DVDs, playing music CDs and listening to the radio. It's just watching the TV that they don't work.