Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

There is an annoying whining noise coming from the sub-woofer whenever the unit is switched on. The fan speed increases when audio output from the TV is heard and during lulls in TV conversation the fan can clearly be heard spooling down as the speed decreases. I am on the second sub-woofer unit and Sony have ordered a third one as a replacement. To be honest I am not expecting this one to be much, if any, better than the first 2.

Clearly someone in the Sony organisation has missed the noisy fan issue or decided customers will have to put up with it.

The noise is distracting and totally unacceptable.

74 REPLIES 74
profile.country.GB.title
roddik
New

I did take it to assistance, but they returned it 2 days later with just a reboot. What firmware do you have installed?

profile.country.ES.title
eXPerience83

Duplicated. Sorry

profile.country.ES.title
eXPerience83

es0001 escribió:

Hi everyone,

I took my HT-RT3 in to a local Sony repair dealer after Sony confirmed there was a fix available for the fan noise. The fix was done under warrantee which is good and the noise of the fan constantly spinning up and down is gone now. The fan is still running but at a constant low speed, I don't hear it any more which is nice. Unfortunate the product was this way to begin with however happy a fix was available. 

Regards

And, what about the firmware version? I want to ask it on Spain. Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
es0001
Explorer

Hi,

my firmware version is 1.060

regards

profile.country.ES.title
eXPerience83

So it is the firmware that I already have.

And the cooling fan is make to muche noise.

Maybe they finally got an update for the cooling fan and for DTS support, because HT-RT4 has the same SW and front speakers and has it. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Braian87
Explorer

Same HT-RT3 with same fw version 1.060 here...

no problems yet with fan (it has about 1 month of usage)

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

For an issue that seems to be sometimes recognised by SONY, I find it disingenuous that a company of the likes of SONY requires the customer to get the item over to the repair Centre. Currys finds it surprising this is the case. One expects a collection and return service with an apology. I’ll have to drive some 3 hrs to drop off another 3 to collect. SONY HELP!

profile.country.GB.title
Matrob92
Explorer

I rang Sony up for the 3 time about this issue and only on this third call did they tell me there was a fix for the fan problem but said I would have to take it to a service centre to get it fixed and there would be a charge to do so but the they didn't know how much. This is totally disgraceful for a big company like Sony. Does anyone have any suggestions how we can fix the issue 

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

For an issue that seems to be sometimes recognised by SONY, I find it disingenuous that a company of the likes of SONY requires the customer to get the item over to the repair Centre. Currys finds it surprising this is the case. One expects a collection and return service with an apology. I’ll have to drive some 3 hrs to drop off another 3 to collect. Case ref

34126-35023. PLEASE HELP! 

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

Hi Matrob92,

Is the device out of warranty. If so, it must still be less than 6 years old? Consumer law and all that. Options; take to repair Centre to have firmware upgrade and fan changed. Or back to Store for a refund with evidence of other customers having same issue.