Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

There is an annoying whining noise coming from the sub-woofer whenever the unit is switched on. The fan speed increases when audio output from the TV is heard and during lulls in TV conversation the fan can clearly be heard spooling down as the speed decreases. I am on the second sub-woofer unit and Sony have ordered a third one as a replacement. To be honest I am not expecting this one to be much, if any, better than the first 2.

Clearly someone in the Sony organisation has missed the noisy fan issue or decided customers will have to put up with it.

The noise is distracting and totally unacceptable.

74 REPLIES 74
profile.country.RO.title
Clauio
Explorer

Trimis din Yahoo Mail pe Android
profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

Same version 1.060

profile.country.GB.title
Braian87
Explorer

Hi... now 7 months old here, about a month ago started the humm noise in the fan... by law 30 days to return, but in practice just 72hs or you have to wait and deal with the company that does the import aka Local Sony importer, after that you just can get repair just if it does not work, but the unit works, the noise is considered as bad aesthetics.

Since I usually open tech things up to fix or just to see how it works I had plans to buy some expensive Noctua 40mm Fan's to try to make a replacement ...

But there are three things that I need to know prior purchase of those high quality fan's...

One is the depth since it comes on 40x40x10 and 40x40x20 milimeters, an the voltaje (5v or 12v), and last is if it uses variable voltaje or pwm to control the speed/rpm

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

Do someone here knows which kind fan comes from factory on the HT-RT3 unit ? to avoid me to open the subwoofer two times.

I add this just for clarification: The unit only it was used about 10-15 of volume... some hours at lunch and night, nothing more, just one day was used at maximum for about 10minutes and put about 40  for another 10minutes (I think 50 is the max), and it is on a extremely clean free of dust enviroment, so, the unit was not deal with any stress to do this noise behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

Bikespace
New

Mines done the same since I got it, now started screeching. Trying to get in to the box to see if I can replace fan, but suspect I’ll give up and go buy something decent instead 

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

I wouldn’t bother. I’d mine replaced, it didn’t help. Had to return and purchased a different one in the end. A DVD blue ray player home entertainment system with speakers. Connected with hdmi cable, so powers up with the TV. So far, so good.