Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SMP N100 media player

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
srmanda24
Visitor

Sony SMP N100 media player

I bought sony SMP N100 media player over the weekend, and happy with wifi that can play BBC iplayer and you tube. I used ASUS Oplay in the past and wondering whether there is anyway I can access the firmware through command line?

I am looking into the option of adding internet channels/radios, if possible. Many of the podcasts abd videocasts are not working as well, so if there is a way to access the firmware and make changes then that would be useful.

Also is it possible to use the USB optical drive for watching movies? I was able to use this using Asus Oplay.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

You can't access the firmware unfortunately but the device does indeed allow you to playback content from USB.

thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Catmambo
Contributor

You can't access the firmware unfortunately but the device does indeed allow you to playback content from USB.

thanks

srmanda24
Visitor

It does all me play back some video and audio files from the USB drive. However I want to use the external USB combo DVDRW drive to watch DVD's? If it's not possible to do with the current firmware then can you please add this feature to the wishlist for future firmware?

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Could always speak to your retailer and simply swap it for a Blu-ray player as they also feature the same connected TV services, USB drive to play movies off of and also then an integrated disc drive which will play DVDRWs...

Thanks

srmanda24
Visitor

Blueray player doesn't have the wifi facility at the price, that is why I opted for the media player. Can the use of external USB combo drive be enabled in the future firmware?

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

No - unfortunately its not on the roadmap.

thanks

profile.country.el_GR.title
jojosjojos
Visitor

catmambo...when to expect a firmware update for smp-n100?  In February?

:slight_smile:

Catmambo
Contributor

To enable/fix what in particular?

Thanks

profile.country.de_DE.title
Erdbaehr
Visitor

For example to enable playing missing video formats on DLNA-server. I can't understand why it doesn't play MPEG-1, PS, MPEG-4 AVC, WMV9 and AVCHD. With all this formats missing, it is quite useless when plugged to an DLNA-server.

profile.country.el_GR.title
jojosjojos
Visitor

Also it would be great to have thumbnails (small images) on the menu of each movie or music we have in the hard disc. Also some new internet channels, and delete some that never put new content.