Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR-DH820

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
minofso
Visitor

Sony STR-DH820

Hi, I have got a Sony STR-DH820 AVR,  a Sony BDP S370 BD player, Sony Bravia KDL46EX713 TV and a Humax Freesat HDR and Harman/Kardon 5.1 speaker system. All devices are connected to the AVR via HDMI 1.4a ver cables, I have no fibre optic cable connected. For a year now, everything has been excellent with HD video and Dolby/DTS sound with the different versions automatically selected by the AVR.

Even when standard TV signal is broadcast in Dolby 5.1, the AVR picks this up through the HDMI cable.

Just recently though, I was streaming music videos from my pc through the BD player and the info on the file playing was DTS NEO 6 soundtrack but my AVR was only receiving a LPCM signal.

This has made me think, should I have a fibre optic cable connecting my BD player to the AVR and also one from the AVR to my TV?

This has not been a problem before as I earlier stated that I can enjoy True Dolby HD sound through any of the connected HDMI's.

Could this just be a bad file where the DTS NEO 6 soundtrack has been lost in the conversion to avi format and been replaced by LCPM soundtrack?

Any help in this matter would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Shaun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No dont use TOSLink (fibre) keep it at HDMI.

What I believe is happening (and it doesnt really matter that much), is that instead of the Bluray player outputting the bitsream audio to the AVR to decode to NEO6, the Bluray player is decoding the track to NEO6, and then outputting that decoded track to the AVR. This then means that the AVR is displaying LPCM. Either way it is decoded.

(I researched this myself a while ago, as I was wondering what bitstream ment on my PS3 audio settings)

To get the AVR to decode the audio, you need to set the Bluray player to output audio as bitstream. (Sorry I dont have instructions to do this, just consult your bluray manual, it may/should tell you, or "play" with the settings yourself)

This website may explain it better that what I have

http://hometheater.about.com/od/blurayandhddvd/qt/Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-Audio-Settings-Bitstream-Vs-Pc...

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No dont use TOSLink (fibre) keep it at HDMI.

What I believe is happening (and it doesnt really matter that much), is that instead of the Bluray player outputting the bitsream audio to the AVR to decode to NEO6, the Bluray player is decoding the track to NEO6, and then outputting that decoded track to the AVR. This then means that the AVR is displaying LPCM. Either way it is decoded.

(I researched this myself a while ago, as I was wondering what bitstream ment on my PS3 audio settings)

To get the AVR to decode the audio, you need to set the Bluray player to output audio as bitstream. (Sorry I dont have instructions to do this, just consult your bluray manual, it may/should tell you, or "play" with the settings yourself)

This website may explain it better that what I have

http://hometheater.about.com/od/blurayandhddvd/qt/Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-Audio-Settings-Bitstream-Vs-Pc...

Hope that helps.

profile.country.en_GB.title
minofso
Visitor

Many thanks for your reply. The audio output on the bluray player is set to bitstream as I had to alter this because the default setting was pcm and I wasn't getting any Dolby sound, just lpcm.

Thanks again for reply and I will have a look at the link posted.