Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Harry,

If I may answer your last question first.., apparently this is a user forum or so I am reliably informed, Sony have no input. Presumably our discussions are of no interest to them. Shame!

Okay, so perhaps this whole pass through issue has gotten me confused. Here's what happens for me:

All equipment OFF

Turn on TV, picture and sound comes through fine but then after 5-10 seconds screen goes black and channel changes to HDMI 1 which my receiver is connected too. Screen stays black but appears to be searching for a signal but nothing happens.

In order to then watch TV only I have to manually press the TV input on my Viera TV for the picture and sound to come back again.

As for watching my Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder without the receiver running the only way I can get audio is by connecting 2 x Phono leads from the the TV 'Out' to the TV 'IN' on the receiver. Sounds weird I know but it's the only way I've managed to get it to work.

To further complicate the issue, if I set 'Pass Through' to off I get no picture from my DVD/HDD recorder if the receiver is switched off.

Yes I entirely agree that having the option of having Pass Through 'ON' should be our choice. It seem we get a bum deal from Sony in the UK as we also lost out on BluTooth much to my disappointment, it was one of the features that made me buy this model. My fault no doubt for watching review videos on YouTube, if only they had mentioned that little anomaly!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Harrywillis

I think there is some confusion, and I'm not sure that what you mention is related to the original post regarding HDMI Passthrough when the receiver is put into standby.

You say "To further complicate the issue, if I set 'Pass Through' to off I get no picture from my DVD/HDD recorder if the receiver is switched off." Surely that is exactly what is supposed to happen? Assuming you have your DVD/HDD connected to the receiver via HDMI, and the receiver connected to the TV via HDMI, if you set the Passthrough option to OFF, then you cannot expect the unit to send the HDMI signal to the TV - you've told it not to?
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Harry,

Sorry for all the confusion. I think perhaps you have misunderstood my intentions. (see my first post on page 4).

I joined in with this post simply to tell others who were experiencing these issues that there is a workaround as mentioned in the user manual, i.e. connect 2 x phonos from your TV out to the TV in on your receiver, that way you can still enjoy sound through other connected equipment with the receiver off.

You did make a good point though, with Pass Through set to OFF there would be no sound anyway! Doh! I did say this pass through thing had me confused. :dizzy:

Hope you solve your problems. You might like to look at the Sony.com forums for further advice, they have the input from Tech Support and Sony staff there, unlike the UK forum.

Cheers.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Harrywillis

Thank you for the forum suggestions. I will look into it.

For the record, I have tried connecting the phono connections between the receiver and the TV, but it is the same with and without the connections.
Harrywillis

Just had this response from Sony support staff "As a response for your inquiries, we do not have firmware update that can resolve this problem as the amplifier needs to be switched on for the passthrough to work".

Looks like I need to try a different TV, and will be very careful which I choose, particularly another Sony, as I am becoming disappointed with Sony's support. It sounds like LG TVs are compatible with the HDMI Passthrough, as per previous posts in this thread.
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Good old Sony Support staff, you can't trust them for good advice, yu probably spoke to someone who's never actually used this unit or has any knowledge of how it works.

Here's what the manual states on Page 94:

Pass Through

Lets you output the HDMI signals to the
TV even when the receiver is in standby
mode.

I rest my case!

Good luck with your new TV, I guess some homework will be in order. Maybe you can go for something that other people recommend for this receiver.

bigles2
Explorer

Got my str-dn1040 yesterday. Works beautifully    except   it has the exact same problem you have mentioned.

I phoned Sony technical (UK) 21 May 14 who are escalating investigation. They however claim it is not a known issue.

Previous receiver was Denon AVR1911 and passthrough was working flawlessly - suggesting not a connection issue here. straight swop out on devices.

I have the option to return to Richersounds but would rather a fix was available to overcome.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I'm no expert but having read countless posts on this issue both on the UK and US forum I'm doubtful a swap out will solve the problem. In fact I have only read one report of this having ever worked.

I bought my unit from Richer Sounds also, they're pretty good if you do go down that route.

Best of luck and please do come back and let us all know if it works.

Harrywillis

I bought the 840 model, also from Richer Sounds (Newcastle). When I got home and found the standby / Passthrough problem, I took the unit back to the shop and they rigged it up to their setup, and Passthrough worked. They were even good enough to give me a new HDMI cable to take home to try out, in case it was due to my cables. It wasn't.

Like you, I could return the unit, but I wanted a Sony solution, and was impressed at the capability of the amp, so decided to keep it, in the hope that Sony support would help. So far, they haven't - see my previous post in this thread with the response. I do not believe that Sony can claim that this is not a known issue - I've already reported it and it was logged with their 2nd line support people.
Harrywillis

bigles2 I'd be interested to know what TV you are using and how old it is. I suspect that the problem is associated with older TVs that do not allow the Passthrough to work.

My Sony TV is quite old, and despite being a Bravia model, has no menu options for HDMI control or Bravia Sync. Richer Sounds connected my amp to a Panasonic TV and it worked. I've seen that LG TVs have worked with Passthrough. I tried my amp with my Dad's Samsung TV and Passthrough didn't work. This shows that The TV can affect the usability of Passthrough in standby.