Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 av receiver display panel issue

profile.country.GB.title
Paulgms
New

STR-DN1080 av receiver display panel issue

My front display panel randomly turned off one day and it generally stays off...occasionally it will light up again for a small period of time and then go off again. It isn’t the dimmer mode or PURE DIRECT either. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I’ve software updated already. 

The actual receiver seems to work fine apart from the display panel. If it never came on I would assume it was dead but it does sometimes randomly. PLEASE HELPPP

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Multiple poeple having the same issue points very much to a design or manufacturing flaw - ie a fault that was present when you bought the unit, just hadn't become obvious.  In this case UK & EU consumer protection applies, and makes Sony liable for the fault even if the warranty has expired.

UltraSBM
New

This might be a bit too late for you, but did you try pushing on the Panel itself?

Mine has just decided to have this issue and I managed to get it working for a short while by pushing on the middle of the panel itself.

No idea why it started doing it 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Nick205
Explorer

Yes. I found ways to get it working but it always went off again.

since I got it repaired it’s worked fine.

profile.country.DK.title
octavia8
Explorer

Hi Nick

I also have the issue with the front display turning of and on randomly. Do you know if it is possible to fix the problem your self - or is it a complicated operation ? Thanks for your reply !

profile.country.GB.title
Nick205
Explorer

It’s not something I’d do myself, but I can’t speak for others who may be competent with electronics. 

For me it was easy enough to find someone to do it, so not worth the aggravation.

I have this issue too.  I've put up with it for a few months and pushing the front of the display sometimes activated the display for a short while, but it doesn't work at all now.  Clearly a faulty electrical connection of sorts.  Is there any news on how this can be fixed - or exactly where the problem is?  I've spoken to a local electronics shop but they want something more concrete to go on.

Thanks

Chris